Re: [AZ] Deciduous Azaleas

  • Bill Miller
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 6, 2004
      Tadeusz,

      When I think of US breeders of deciduous azaleas, the following names
      come to mind:

      Girard
      Aromi
      Arneson
      Dodd III
      Univ. of Minn.
      Carlson
      Beasley
      Sommerville

      Yes, I think developing deciduous azaleas is worth pursuing. Good Luck.

      Bill Miller
      Bethesda, Maryland

      iltkyao wrote:

      > Hello to all Azalea Lovers worldwide.
      >
      > Who are the "new or old guns" hybridizing deciduous azaleas??/
      >
      > Maybe an article in the Azalean has been written before I Joined the
      > ASA IN 2001, IF so could you let me know. I do have Galle's revised
      > and Enlarged edition but it's only 60 pages devoted to Deciduous ones
      > vs Evergreen. I have started to make some crosses, Klondyke, Cecile,
      > Windsor Buttercup,Red Sunset, and Jane Abbott are my first attempts,
      > and the pods are getting swollen, so in a couple of months I will
      > have some seeds, but I wonder if
      > I am possibly repeating what's been done already. Please shed some
      > light on the subject, is it worth persuing?? I do have these plants
      > to work with Antelope, Gibraltar, Choptank Seedling from the 2002
      > Atlanta ARS/ASA Conv, Fireball, Klondyke,Red Sunset,Cecile,Cheerful
      > Giant,Jane ABbott,Austrium from the 2003 ASA Chattanoga Conv, Red
      > Velvet,George Reynolds,Windsor Buttercup,Homebush, N.L.wHITE lIGHTS,
      > yELLOW POM-POM, red POM-POM,HI-LITES, Frank abbott,Yellow Giant,TRI-
      > LIGHTS,Moonlight Rose, Rosy LIGHTS, aRNESON rUBY, Yellow cloud, White
      > Swan, Viscosum from East Fork nursery, Golden lights, Mandarin
      > Lights, Snowbird,Parade,Salmon delight, Better letter., WHERE DOES
      > one begin the task of becomimg crazy with this virus??
      >
      > Thanks so much for any input.
      >
      > Tadeusz- Board Memnber Lake Michigan Chapter of ASA,
      > Membership renewal chair -Midwest Chapter ARS.
      >
      > IT'S in the 80's with much needed rain drops coming down in the
      > Chicago area.

    • Will and Kate Ferrell
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 6, 2004
        Tadeusz,
        Bill Miller answered your question about 'new lights' in dec. azaleas
        hybridizing.
        The answer to your question 'WHERE DOES
        one begin the task of becomimg crazy with this virus??' is "Isn't it
        grand?!" Join the club. They are beautiful & that's all the excuse we
        need.

        Will
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2004
            Bill & Tadeusz

            To that list should definitely be added Joe Parks <joeb@...> of
            New Hampshire. His wonderful series of 'Cherokee' hybrids includes many
            very hardy, brightly colorful, fragrant, mildew and caterpillar
            resistant plants! He has been trying for some time to get them
            distributed in the trade.

            Joe: Are any of your Cherokees available commercially right now?

            Bill Sweeney
            Concord, Mass

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7, 2004
              Bill (Sweeney),

              Thank you for the information about this additional hybrid group from
              New Hampshire. I knew my list would not be complete but I figured it
              was a good start and it reflected my experience.... or lack of
              experience. I was sure that other folks would contribute additional
              names.

              I drew a total blank on the Cherokee Series, but Google provided a
              reference to a Spring 2000 Rosebay article by Joe Parks that is
              available online. I could be mistaken, but I don't remember the
              article being picked up by JARS, and I know that there hasn't been
              anything in THE AZALEAN. It is not going to help matters that a
              Cherokee Series of deciduous azaleas already exists (Galle1, p 110)....
              or that several of Gartrell's Cripple Creek hybrids incorporate the word
              "Cherokee" in six of his evergreen cultivar names (Galle1, p 283).

              Bill Miller
              Bethesda, Maryland

              William Sweeney wrote:

              > Bill & Tadeusz
              >
              > To that list should definitely be added Joe Parks <joeb@...> of
              > New Hampshire. His wonderful series of 'Cherokee' hybrids includes many
              > very hardy, brightly colorful, fragrant, mildew and caterpillar
              > resistant plants! He has been trying for some time to get them
              > distributed in the trade.
              >
              > Joe: Are any of your Cherokees available commercially right now?
              >
              > Bill Sweeney
              > Concord, Mass

            • iltkyao
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7, 2004
                Thanks so much all for replying to my post.

                Prez Sweeney;

                Joe Parks did create some wonderful hybrids, I have been aware of
                them since the Rosebay article was posted back in 2000, being a
                associate member of Mass Chapter, I e-mailed Joe Parks back in 2001
                about those hybrids, his answer at that time was that he could not
                get anyone (nursery) to propagate/deliver to general public, and that
                he did not have the facility to that himself. I have also tried to
                possibly obtain them along with "Joe Parks Rhodies" from the P4M ; I
                wrote to Cubs fan (wait till next year) John P in your chapter about
                possibility of obtaining them thru the P4M. John and Sally queried
                the P4M chair thru e-mail whether that was viable, they even
                volunteered to put them aside and ship them to me, as part of their
                order- no dice again, I do thank John/Sally for doing that for me..
                So I guess I have to make a long trip next year
                to visit Beantown and go to P4M sale. I did inform my Prez (Lake
                Michigan Chapter of ASA ) about these Cherokee series, he contacted
                Joe Parks and looks like finally they will be available for general
                public thru Syringa Plus and Stoneboro in Pa. We have ordered some
                for the 2005 ASA convention in Holland , Michigan. Thus Joe Parks
                hybrids will be tried in Midwest.

                thanks.

                Tadeusz- rain leaving Illinois heading to the East Coast.

                I do understand

                In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, William Sweeney <sweeneyw@c...> wrote:
                > Bill & Tadeusz
                >
                > To that list should definitely be added Joe Parks <joeb@t...> of
                > New Hampshire. His wonderful series of 'Cherokee' hybrids includes
                many
                > very hardy, brightly colorful, fragrant, mildew and caterpillar
                > resistant plants! He has been trying for some time to get them
                > distributed in the trade.
                >
                > Joe: Are any of your Cherokees available commercially right now?
                >
                > Bill Sweeney
                > Concord, Mass

              • S. M. Henning
                Message 7 of 9 , May 11 1:27 PM
                  Deciduous azaleas can take full sun or partial shade. However, in
                  full sun, the flowers will bleach more quickly, even though the
                  plants grow well. They do not bloom well in shade.

                  http://rhodyman.net
                • George Klump
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 11 2:29 PM

                    Steve,

                    My deciduous azaleas are sitting out in full sun all the time, big as life and twice as natural.  The colors have not bleached.  One is a brilliant yellow-orange: that's Klondike.  The colors which will bleach here in the sun are those which lean toward the salmon pink or just salmon color.  I do have a Satsuki, Eikan, out in the afternoon sun.  It has all kinds of colors on it, but some are salmon color and for some reason they do not seem to fade at all.  Don't know why.  I suppose if it sat in full sun all day, that might be another story.  In any event it is our experience out here that the salmon colored flowers do tend to fade, if there is to be any fading, whereas the other colors seem to hold fast.

                    George Klump
                    Southern California Chapter