Re: [AZ] late atlanticum?

  • Bob Kelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
      I too purchased the seedling  r. atlanticum, from Delaware, at the 2003 convention plant sale.  It bloomed simultaneously with my r. viscosum, with identical flowers.  Verdict:  It is a mislabeled viscosum.

      Bob Kelly
      Zone 7b, MS

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2004
        John Perkins & Bob Kelly,
        I am sorry for the label situation on the plants you bought at the 2003
        convention. Most of the native azaleas were purchased from East Fork
        Nursery, including the R. viscosum and R. atalnticum, and if you bought the
        small plants in three inch pots, they had yet to bloom prior to being in the
        sale.

        I too noticed the same thing this year and was very suspicious until they
        bloomed and knew somehow the labels were placed on the wrong plants. I did
        pull out some R. viscosum with blue-green foliage that looked more like R.
        atlanticum than R. viscosum, but Maarten van der Giessen's R. viscosum also
        has bluish green foliage. There is about a three week difference in bloom
        time here for these two species.

        Another note about the 2003 plants, the ones labeled R. cumberlandense are
        really sedlings from Gregory Bald. I failed to put the proper labels on
        these plants. A receient photo post of a pink azalea from Gregory Bald is
        one that did not sell at the convention and now it is in my garden. There
        were some very nice reds in that batch too and several are in my garden
        also. It was a case of too much to do at the last moment.

        Again, I am sorry for the wrong labels and I trust that EFN will try harder.
        Vivian grows some great azaleas.

        Joe Schild Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a

        > I purchased a R. atlanticum (White label reads source Delaware)from
        > the 2003 Azalea Convention. The plant bloomed fully (extremely well
        > for such a young plant) this year and has small pure white fragrant
        > flowers with long flower tubes.
        >
        > The problem is the plant bloomed July 1, 2004. Our native R.
        > viscosums opened their first blooms around June 24. 'Marydel' opened
        > it first blooms around May 15.
        >
        > Is it most likely a very late atlanticum or a mislabled viscosum?
        >
        > John Perkins
        > Salem, NH
        >

        > When you reply to this email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as
        context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.
        Also PLEASE tell us where you garden (city, state or at least your USDA
        zone).

        > We welcome images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel .jpg
        images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bob Kelly
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
          Vivian,

          I, for one, am perfectly happy with my r. viscosum!  As I am with several 'Gregory Balds', calendulaceums, and flammeums  along with several others from East Fork Nursery.  Thanks for making such a variety of azalea seedlings available.

          I know how easy it is to mislable these things, though I have propagated only a few hundred of them over the past three years.

          Bob Kelly
          Aberdeen, MS
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
            At 6:26 AM -0500 on 7/6/04, Bob Kelly wrote
            >I, for one, am perfectly happy with my r. viscosum! As I am with
            >several 'Gregory Balds', calendulaceums, and flammeums along with
            >several others from East Fork Nursery. Thanks for making such a
            >variety of azalea seedlings available.

            Hear! Hear!

            I, for another, am extremely happy with the many deciduous azaleas I
            have gotten over the past 6 years or so from East Fork Nursery. My
            favorite is a prostrate R. cumberlandense spilling down a slope in
            our garden - see at <http://www.pbase.com/image/2790477> - which is
            an East Fork seedling.

            Vivian Abney does a great job of keeping the name on the seed packet
            with its resulting seedlings, even though it must be very hard to
            keep thousands of tiny plants labeled properly. So I wasn't surprised
            to hear from her recent post that the mixup between R. atlanticum and
            R. viscosum started with collecting the seed, rather than with
            labeling the seedlings. And, having experienced over the years how
            generous Vivian is, and how hard she works at trying to do the right
            thing, I wasn't surprised by her offer of a replacement plant.

            I hope some of you do have the chance to visit East Fork Nursery, as
            it is a very impressive operation.

            Regards,
            Bob Stelloh Hendersonville North Carolina USDA Zone 7
          • Joe Schild
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
              I agree Bob. There was a simple mistake in labeling the small plants when it
              is most difficult to identify them by leaves or other keys. Vivian does
              indeed propagate and grow some wonderful native azaleas and I do plan on
              working with Vivian again in the future.

              I do apologize to Vivian for the rather rough comments by me and since I was
              the final person responsible for the sale of the plants, if anyone wishes an
              exchange or replacement, please let me know. This is the fairest to her and
              you. But you can't have the pink or red Gregory Bald seedlings I mentioned
              in my previous post. ;>)

              Joe Schild Hizson, TN USDA Zone 7a