Re: [AZ] Incompatible deciduous azaleas?

  • Larry Wallace
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2007
      incompatibility between calendulaceum and eastmanii?
      Tetraploid and diploid species.
      You need Crossing ala Gregory:
      (R. eastmani x another diploid) x Calendulaceum
      a F-1 cross of two diploids will produce some unreduced pollen, which will fertilize a tetraploid.

      --
      Larry Wallace
      Cincinnati
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2011
        Mike

        Do you remember this post?

        Notice you attempted tetraploid X diploid for 2 deciduous azalea species.

        If you would have done the cross in the reverse direction it would have most likely haveset seed pods.

        John Perkins
        Salem, NH

        --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

        > I well-pollinated two different Mountain Flame Azaleas
        > - Gamecock and Walhalla Gold - with fresh pollen from
        > a nearby eastmanii this May, and NONE of the flowers
        > formed a seed pod, acting like they had never been
        > pollinated.
        >
        > Can anyone try to explain this apparent
        > incompatibility between calendulaceum and eastmanii?
        >
        > A friend of mine in Oregon has had several successes
        > with crossing occidentale and eastmanii, so those
        > species appear compatible.
        >
        > Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

      • sjperk5
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2011