RE: [AZ] brown azalea flowers after blooming

  • Dave Nanney
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2007

      Susan, We’re over in Springfield, and have several plants which have persistent dried up blooms.  I wouldn’t waste the energy picking off the dead blooms.  I don’t think it matters to the plants, and in a couple of weeks, they will be gone so it won’t matter to you.  I am also in the No. Va. Chapter and we would enjoy you joining our group.  We’re planning a plant sale later in the year so drop Barry or us a note and we’ll let you know when the meeting is.

      We have a number of dwarf azaleas named Gumpo azaleas which bloom later than most and maintain a desirable compact form.  I also have some which have grown to 10 feet + over  20 years.  The dwarfs I have landscaped close to my home and the big ones off in the wood line.  Each has a perfect place in the landscape.  Sounds like your previous owners had good taste.

      I do agree with Barry that this drought has potential to be “challenging” to our plants.  The good news is that azaleas naturalize after the first couple of years in the ground so probably defend themselves better than most.  If you see them begin to droop, definitely start watering on a not too frequent basis as Barry described.

      Dave