Re: azaleas for eastern Washington

  • S. M. Henning
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2007
      condit@... wrote:

      >I'm looking for azaleas that can stand up to the cold (-10--20) in
      >eastern Washington. What varieties would you pick for beauty and
      >hardiness?

      This is not a trivial question. The arid eastern part of Washington
      has huge extremes in temperature. I have seen extreme highs in the
      daytime followed by frigid lows at night. The experience most of us
      have doesn't relate to your situation. The best guess recommendation
      would be the Northern Lights series from Minnesota. You can find out
      more about them at:

      Azaleas and Rhododendrons for Minnesota
      <http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG2386.html>

      There is also a group of azaleas from Finland

      Azaleas for northern climates
      <http://www.mm.helsinki.fi/users/avainola/azabreed.htm>

      These are all deciduous azaleas.

      I would call your extension agent or contact someone in WSU in
      Pullman for advice. I would guess that protection from summer
      drought and extremes in temperature would be primary concerns.
      --
      Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

      http://rhodyman.net/rasite.html

      http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html