Re: [AZ] cocoa shells

    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2007
      I think that the pumice and the peat are more a
      problem in the mix than the coca shells. How finely
      milled are the cocoanut shells and have they begun to
      decompose. Fir bark might be better to mix with the
      coca shells.
      Mike Creel, SC

      --- Whiteslib@... wrote:

      > Has anyone had experience using coca shells with
      > potted azaleas, either as
      > part of a potting medium or in it's entirety. I
      > have recently potted some
      > deciduous azaleas in a mixture of 25% coca shells,
      > 50% peat azalea soil, and
      > 25% pumice, and I find that this medium really holds
      > the moisture, and this
      > concerns me.
      >
      > I would appreciate any feed back regarding coca
      > shells. Thank you.
      >
      > Don White
      > Watsonville, CA

      > free at http://www.aol.com

    • S. M. Henning
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2007
        They may not be practical, but they sure do smell good if you like chocolate.

        As Tom mentioned they are used quite a bit as mulch in Pennsylvania
        since they are readily available around Hershey. Also they are
        fairly cheap, especially since they are light and you get a lot of
        bulk per pound. But as Tom also mentioned, they blow away, float
        away and in general are not very popular.

        http://rhodyman.net
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2007
          Don, et al,

          Unless I missed it earlier in the thread, the other item that no one has brought up is that there are toxicity concerns for family pets where cocoa shells (chocolate) are used as a mulch.

          Bill Miller
          Bethesda, Maryland
          www.theazaleaworks.com

          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2007
            I had thought you guys were talking about coconut
            shells not cacao (chocolate husks)
            Mike Creel

            --- "S. M. Henning" <rhodyman@...> wrote:

            > They may not be practical, but they sure do smell
            > good if you like chocolate.
            >
            > As Tom mentioned they are used quite a bit as mulch
            > in Pennsylvania
            > since they are readily available around Hershey.
            > Also they are
            > fairly cheap, especially since they are light and
            > you get a lot of
            > bulk per pound. But as Tom also mentioned, they
            > blow away, float
            > away and in general are not very popular.
            > --
            >
            > Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA
            >
            > http://rhodyman.net

          • S. M. Henning
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2007
              Bill Miller wrote:

              >Unless I missed it earlier in the thread, the other item that no one has
              >brought up is that there are toxicity concerns for family pets where
              >cocoa shells (chocolate) are used as a mulch.

              From http://www.hersheys.com/mulch/faq.shtml

              Cocoa shell mulch, like chocolate products, contains theobromine, a
              naturally occurring stimulant in the cocoa bean. Unlike humans,
              animals like dogs are often sensitive to the theobromine, which can
              lead to toxicity and even death in some animals. Cocoa shell mulch
              packaged by The Hershey Company contains a warning on the front and
              back of each bag.

              Mike Creel wrote:

              >I had thought you guys were talking about coconut
              >shells not cacao (chocolate husks)

              It is confusing Mike. Cocoa shell mulch is made from the shells of
              roasted cacao beans.

              A cocoa beans or cacao are the seed of the small cacao tree. But,
              cocoanut is a valid spelling for coconut. However, I have never seen
              coconut shell mulch sold in the US.

              http://rhodyman.net