Re: [AZ] Florist Azalea's

  • George Klump
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2007

      Leslie,

      Most florist azaleas I've ever seen are Belgian Indicas, since they seem to force bloom rather easily and served as the basis of most of the florist trade in Europe, since at least the mid-19th century.  If this azalea in fact is a Belgian Indica, then, my experience with them is to give them some sun, no more, say, than 60%, if you are in a fairly arid climate.  If your climate is more humid, then, those kinds of azaleas take a little more sun.  BUT they must have some shade, at least partial, from heavy afternoon sun.

      Any light soil medium which is acidic will work.  We use coarse peat moss, perlite and redwood bark (gorilla hair) in equal parts by volume.  You can eyeball it.  If redwood bark is not available to you, then, you can use "orchid bark" which is normally really Douglas fir in 2 parts: so 1 - 1 - 2, instead of 1 - 1 - 1.  We do not throw any actual soil into the mix.  Drainage is the main thing, though.  Most azaleas will take just about all the water you can give them SO LONG AS the water drains away about as fast as it comes in.  Azaleas (and rhododendrons) will not tolerate having their roots in water.

      George Klump
      Southern California Chapter
      ARS/ASA

      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 5:10 AM
        George Klump says . . . . . . .

        Any light soil medium which is acidic will work.  We use coarse peat moss, perlite and redwood bark (gorilla hair) in equal parts by volume.  You can eyeball it.  If redwood bark is not available to you, then, you can use "orchid bark" which is normally really Douglas fir in 2 parts: so 1 - 1 - 2, instead of 1 - 1 - 1.  We do not throw any actual soil into the mix.  Drainage is the main thing, though.  Most azaleas will take just about all the water you can give them SO LONG AS the water drains away about as fast as it comes in.  Azaleas (and rhododendrons) will not tolerate having their roots in water.

        What a great clear statement . . . . .  now if only folks who sell these things would put such a message on the label with the product.  And, of course in colder regions of the country, they might add that these plants are not frost tolerant.

        I might add, it would be great if the wise gurus, who answer questions about rhodos and azaleas on radio garden shows, would also understand share this advice with listeners.

        Nick
        St. Catharines ON Canada
        near Niagara Falls

        On 5/1/07, George Klump <mixturev@...