this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

  • Cindy Remaley
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 19, 2007
      this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

      I fell in love with these plants on a recent trip to Calabash, N.C.  Can I grow Azaleas in Central New York?  What type would be best?

      Cindy Remaley

      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 30, 2016
      Mike,

      You may have to use a hand-lens (magnifying glass) to examine the hairs for glands.  It would also help to know where you are geographically.  In my part of Maryland, I only have Rhododendron periclymenoides.

      The following link is a key to help you identify the individuals in the "pink" group:

      https://www.tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/ars/pinkchoice.htm

      The attached image, showing hairs (setae) and glands, is from an article written by Martha Prince, The Azalean Vol. 5(3), September 1983, p41.

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      On 3/30/2016 11:45 AM, 'SJPERK5' sjperk5@... [azaleas] wrote:

      I lean towards canescens but it maybe it could be R. prinophyllum. Is it fragrant as both canescens and prinophyllum are? Are their soft hairs covering the new growth like typical canescens? Are there sticky glands on the flower tube or new foliage more like prinophyllum.