frosty green crystal-like substance on my azaleas

  • Nancyrsomers@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
      [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

      Hi I live in Somers CT and my azaleas have some type of a fungus - it is a spiky light green on the bark and it is on all of my plants - one is relatively new -  They are planted near the house and mostly get early to late afternoon sun -

      Have you ever seen this?  It is worse this year and I am noticing that there are essentially no buds on my plants -!

      Can you help?

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • bnbled
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30 11:37 AM

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30 1:35 PM
          Hi Nancy,

          I don't know about "crystal-like," but I suspect you have lichen.  Lichens are the result of a symbiotic relationship between a fungus and an algae.  It isn't especially attractive, but it probably doesn't harm the azaleas.

          See the image at:

          http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/82092061

          One suggestion in the literature is to spray with a copper sulfate solution.  I don't know if that works --- or if it's a good idea, since I've never had to deal with lichens.  For information along this line, see the Web site at:  http://www.gardenopus.com/Lichen.htm

          --
          William C. Miller III
          Bethesda, Maryland

          bnbled wrote:

          --- In azaleas@yahoogroups .com, Nancyrsomers@ ... wrote:

          > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
          >

          > Hi I live in Somers CT and my azaleas have some type of a fungus -
          it is a
          > spiky light green on the bark and it is on all of my plants - one
          is relatively
          > new - They are planted near the house and mostly get early to late
          afternoon
          > sun -
          >
          > Have you ever seen this? It is worse this year and I am noticing
          that there
          > are essentially no buds on my plants -!
          >
          > Can you help?
          >

          > ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at
          http://www.aol. com.

        • Tom Schuetz
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30 2:09 PM
            Bill, I just returned from visiting friends on Campobello Island New Brunswick, just off the NE tip of the Maine sea coast. I noticed that, up there, some evergreen trees had a great deal of lichen and some had another form unlike the scaly type I was familiar with. Some of it was like Spanish Moss but finer, described by someone as a "beard". Further, heavily encrusted trees had been killed. I do not know what the problem was up there but there is a lot of fog and I would not be surprised if a lot of saltwater droplets had been blown onto this stuff and become concentrated.
            Other trees seem to have had a lot of lichen but were surviving.
            Tom Schuetz
            schuetz101@...
            Mechanicsburg, PA   USDA Zone 6a

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30 2:46 PM
              Hi Tom,

              I don't know the answer.  In many situations, it's difficult to relate a cause and an effect.  Just because some trees died and had lichens on them, it is too easy to conclude that the lichens did the deed.  In such situations, one always needs to look further.  I associate lichens with a "wet" environment and/or poor air circulation.  The algae component of the symbiotic relationship needs moisture.  I understand that lichens have many forms.

              I'm familiar with spanish moss of the low country of South Carolina, and I know it doesn't do anything but use a tree for support.

              Bill

              schuetz101@comcast. net

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 30 4:19 PM
                Nancy, I have photographed lichens on rocks and trees for years, enjoying their beauty.  On shrubs like azaleas I think lichens are a sign that the plant's above ground stems are growing old, losing vitality and nearing the the end of their life cycle.  In other words your azaleas are more in need of pruning than they are any kind of poison to kill the lichens.  Old stems, too old, are much more likely to be populated by lichens than younger, more vigorous stems.  Some times too much spray irrigation can encourage lichens.

                Azaleas are shrubs, and their upright stems are not permanent like the trunk of a tree.  In nature the upright stems grow for perhaps 15 years, sometimes more or less, and then die, causing the plant to regenerate from the root and grow new upright stems. In gardens an azalea should be pruned periodically, removing obviously old stems and causing the plant to regenerate from the base.

                In Maryland with winter approaching, it is probably too late to do growing season pruning to encourage new growth this season. But pruning an azalea during the dormant season (late fall, winter, early spring) by one third to one half could cause much new growth in the spring. I am sure other members of our group will have opinions on this winter pruning.

                Mike Creel, SC

                bnbled wrote:

                --- In azaleas@yahoogroups .com, Nancyrsomers@ ... wrote:

                > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
                >

                > Hi I live in Somers CT and my azaleas have some type of a fungus -
                it is a
                > spiky light green on the bark and it is on all of my plants - one
                is relatively
                > new - They are planted near the house and mostly get early to late
                afternoon
                > sun -
                >
                > Have you ever seen this? It is worse this year and I am noticing
                that there
                > are essentially no buds on my plants -!
                >
                > Can you help?
                >

                > ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at
                http://www.aol com.

              • Steve & Darlene Henning
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 31 6:41 AM
                  The lichen just considers the azalea to be a platform such as a rock
                  or tree is a platform. It doesn't always reflect on the health of the
                  platform if it is an azalea or other plant.

                  Lichens indicate an older plant since they are slow growers, but an
                  azalea that has lichens growing on it has an open structure that gets
                  air and light. Lichens grow in open sunny situations. On a plant
                  that is normally open, that is OK. On a plant that should have denser
                  growth when healthy, that is an indication that it is not healthy.

                  Three types of lichens have been described: (1) crustose forms, which
                  are flattened against the limb; (2) folicose forms, which produce
                  leaflike folds above the limb; and (3) fruiticose lichens, which
                  produce highly branched structures with hair or fingerlike
                  projections. Folicose and fruiticose lichens on leaves may shade
                  foliage, but shading may slow as the host plant grows. A thick
                  covering of lichens on a twig or branch may interfere with gas
                  exchange of host tissues, causing decline or death.

                  I have a slight disagreement Mike. Many azaleas thrive on older wood.
                  Mine are mostly over 40 years old and just have older wood. They
                  seem to maintain their vigor just fine. I don't have many natives
                  like you do.