[AZ] Advice - Severe trim to old azalea bushes in Zone 8a

  • George Klump
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2007

      Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 8:49 PM
      Subject: RE: [AZ] Advice - Severe trim to old azalea bushes in Zone 8a

      George,

      I totally disagree with you on this.  Just because you like tall spindly azalea plants, it is not necessary to have them tall and spindly.  If you like tall and spindly plants, that is OK, but healthy azaleas can be able to be cut from six feet to one foot and be fine.  Just do it right after they flower.  I don't recall saying that I liked "spindly" azaleas of any kind.  That's an assumption you made.  Nor do I know that the azaleas J.T. has are "spindly", although they are tall.  My point was to encourage them to flower and, then, trim them as much as is wanted.  Azaleas which are out in the sun tend to flower readily and to put on a good leaf structure, if they are properly cared for.  Obviously, these azaleas had not been.  Personally, I like larger azaleas, if they're shaped and fed.  That's why a cited Tyler.  None of mine are "spindly", although some a large.

      Yes, next year you may not have as many flowers, but they will grow back fine and flower in coming years.  I have seen thousands of plants trimmed like this over the near 50 years I have been raising these plants and unless the plant is dieing to begin with, they will be fine.  I still remember a field of rhododendrons and azaleas of two or more acres that that grown to six feet tall and were planted about 18” apart.  The owner of the nursery went in there with a chain saw and cut all the plants to ground level.  By the end of the second spring he had some of the nicest looking rhododendrons and azaleas you could see.

      Give them a good shot of fertilizer with a formula such as 10-6-4.  This is the formula Oregon State University came up with after extensive testing.  Our nursery modified it to 20-12-8 with 8% sulphur and  micronutrients and we have had tremendous success.  However, this will push leaf development.  Since much of the soil in the South is acidic and/or sometimes heavier clay or claylike, I'm not too keen on high nitrogen this time of year in that type of soil, unless the intent is to skip the flowers in favor of leaves.  The soil also tends to have a high iron content in some areas.  Anyone who plants azaleas only 18" apart in a field of 2 + acres needs to have their head examined, wouldn't you say, Harold?

      George

      Don’t be afraid to cut the plants back.  I can tell you from years of experience, it works.

      Harold Greer