Re: [AZ] Just planted last fall...

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
      Jessica, if the dwarf azaleas you planted last year
      were provided by a local nursery and are flower bud
      hardy, as well as plant hardy, and have NOT been
      pruned, they should bloom this season. They may be
      mid-season or late-season bloomers though. Are they
      evergreen or deciduous? Deciduous azaleas have large,
      prominent bloom buds for the upcoming season, while
      most evergreen azaleas have bloom buds that are more
      hidden. But you can still find flower buds on
      evergreen azaleas if you look closely. Do you know
      the variety name and source (nursery) of your azaleas?

      Sometimes people buy azaleas from other than local
      nurseries which prove not to be the proper varieties
      for their area. If the plants survive through the
      winter, they have proved themselves at least plant
      hardy in your areaa. But if it is not bud hardy, the
      plant's bloom buds will be killed during the winter
      with little to no damage to the plant itself. I grow
      at least one variety - Red Formosa - that has
      beautiful foliage all year-long, but the buds usually
      get killed during winter in Zone 8A where I live.

      Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

      --- Jessica Shelton <Jessica@...> wrote:

      > this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC
      >
      > Hello there.
      >
      > We just planted some dwarf azaleas outside our
      > office last fall and
      > we're wondering if azaleas bloom their first year
      > planted or if they
      > need to establish themselves first. Also, when
      > should we start
      > looking for new leaves and/or buds? We're located
      > in southern
      > Missouri and out plants are about 5-7 inches tall.
      >
      > Thanks for your help!
      >
      > Jessica Shelton
      > Woods & Waters Inc.
      > http://www.OzarkLand.com
      >
      > Flowers and scenery for your desktop...
      > Wallpaper...Calendars... FREE!
      > http://www.OzarkMountainImages.com

    • S. M. Henning
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
        "Jessica Shelton" <mailto:Jessica@...?Subject=
        Re%3AJust%20planted%20last%20fall%2E%2E%2E>Jessica@...
        wrote:

        >We just planted some dwarf azaleas outside our office last fall and
        >we're wondering if azaleas bloom their first year planted or if they
        >need to establish themselves first. Also, when should we start
        >looking for new leaves and/or buds? We're located in southern
        >Missouri and out plants are about 5-7 inches tall.

        Hi Jessica,

        Thanks for asking the Azalea Group.

        It depends. Typically they bloom by their 3rd year after rooting.
        However most nurseries sell plants that have been field grown for 2
        or 3 years or container grown and forced to produce buds. If they
        are going to bloom, the buds are on them right now. They are formed
        during the summer. There will be small buds for new foliage. If
        there are also larger buds, they are probably the new flower buds.
        If you see any problems on the larger buds, that will effect the
        bloom. Some problems are:

        Early bloom: the buds start to open in the fall, then freeze and are lost.
        Bud blast: a fungal disease that causes black whiskers to form on the bud.
        Cold damage: if the temperatures go below the capability of the bud,
        they will freeze and turn brown.

        I don't mean to alarm you. I just thought that since you will
        probably look at the buds, you may want to diagnose any abnormalities.

        Good Luck.
        --
        Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

        http://rhodyman.net/rasite.html

        http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html