this is from the ASK US page , send me a CC

  • Penn Compton
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2007

      I'm channel surfing and hear Martha Stewart say " throw coffee grounds on your azalea beds to add acid , it helps you azaleas grow " . Is this a good idea ?

      Thanks
    • ronniesandersville
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2007
        --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Penn Compton <Penn.Compton@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm channel surfing and hear Martha Stewart say " throw coffee
        grounds on
        > your azalea beds to add acid , it helps you azaleas grow " . Is
        this a
        > good idea ?
        >
        > Thanks

        i wouldn't suggest using coffee grinds.in excess of 40 years in
        being in love with the azalea and thinking of it as being the most
        beautiful shrub whether in bloom or not,the best fertilizer in my
        opinion is cotton seed meal.cotton seed meal is a high acid organic
        fertilizer which attracts eartworms which provides another valuable
        fertilizer in the form of earthworm castings.in addition to
        providing this rich nutrient (castings)the eartworm keeps the soil
        aereated allowing air and moisture into the rooting zones and in
        addition turns the soil into a rich compost.be sure to keep your
        beds mulched and the eartworm does the rest.occasionally i may move
        or add an azalea into the bed and seeing the healthy eartworms and
        the rich compost made by the eartworm just make me smile and admire
        the beauty of my healthy plants.i just marvel at the sight year
        round.
      • Steve & Darlene Henning
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007
          Penn Compton <Penn.Compton@...> wrote:

          > I hear Martha Stewart say " throw coffee grounds on
          > your azalea beds to add acid, it helps you azaleas grow". Is this a
          > good idea ?

          Vicky Van Veen from Van Veen Nursery in Portland, Oregon, get all the
          coffee grounds she can for the nursery. Her experience is:

          "after using coffee grinds from Starbucks Coffee House for about 18
          months that they were very satisfied with the results. 1) it helps to
          aerate their clay soil. 2) slugs don't like to go through. (So you can
          see they have both mixed in and put on top.) It does help to make the
          soil more acidic. But it does not replace fertilizer.

          They suspect that by making the soil more acidic you are actually
          helping the uptake of magnesium. This in turn helps iron uptake and
          that helps to make the plant green. So really you are starting a
          process not fertilizing. Combine the coffee with horse mature and
          organic mulch and watch the amount of fertilizer you use decrease
          dramatically. As for how they apply it, when the plant is dry and just
          before it rains they sprinkle it on and around. The rain takes it from
          there. Otherwise they incorporate into the new beds. No exact rate
          just cover the top and work it in." (Courtesy of Vicki at Van Veen
          Nursery)
        • Barry Sperling
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2007
            Why recommend acidifying the soil when we don't know if the soil in
            question is too acid to begin with? I would recommend a soil test
            first, unless people believe that coffee grounds improve ALL soils...
            Barry