RE: [AZ] global warming

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
      Will,
      Interesting links on the subject.

      Do I think "global warming" is actually happening? Yes! To not see it happening is to play the role of that big bird that uses sand to hide its head.
      Do I think "global warming" is a product of cyclical climate change? Yes!
      Do I think "global warming" is partially caused by humankind's industrial and personal endeavors? Yes, to a degree that we are adding Carbon to the atmosphere above the mean line of natural occurrences.
      Do I think "global warming" can be reversed if we humans stop all of our introduction of Carbon into the atmosphere? NO! Not in our lifetime or even the next century.
      Do I think "global warming" has reached the tipping-point? Possible, but that has yet to be proven by the best of the global climate scientists.

      Why? I look to a number of factors.
      1. Our star, the Sun, is in a cycle of increased output, thus warming us well beyond our control, if that is ever possible to control.
      2. Earth's magnetic field is shifting and changing and the results may be allowing changes to our atmosphere's ability to filter out harmful radiation.
      3. I believe most scientists agree that as of several decades ago, we were at the end of a cooling period and are now in a warming period, the cycle.

      Do I have a problem with a lot of the vocal celebrity activists on this issue? Yes! I especially have problems with those celebrities that take great pride in and seek publicity in owning and driving hybrid cars, and then drive it to the airport, parking it, and then climbing aboard their private jet to fly off to some other city that in turn adds more Carbon to the atmosphere than all of us on this list will produce in several years. I think the word is disingenuous.

      Do I think we as individuals can make a difference? If we look totally to government to solve the problems, then we are fooling ourselves. History gives us that bit of knowledge. We can do things that may not make significant changes singularly, but cumulative will. I just keep doing the things I have been doing for nearly 40 years such as recycling, composting, drive the most energy efficient vehicles I can afford, cut energy consumption by making my home as tight as possible, cut the thermostat back in the winter and raise it in the summer, grow some of my own produce to cut shipping costs and the energy to transport them, teach others to follow common sense principals of energy conservation, and for all to not lose sight of the goal in the storm of radical extremism on both sides of the issue that only raises the temperature with the hot air expelled.

      What the heck does all this have to do with growing azaleas? Well, I can now grow azaleas that a few decades ago were not cold hardy here and perhaps in another decade I will be able to grow the tropical rhododendrons outside.

      Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
      Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
        Will, Joe, et al

        Thank you for the interesting links, Will, and for your very
        thoughtful reply, Joe. This is a very important topic, and I suspect
        there is at least one Yahoo email interest group devoted to it . . .
        I just looked, and here is a short sample:

        However, the azaleas email group is devoted to azaleas, and I urge us
        all to stay on that topic -- good try at the end, Joe, to try to
        bring your post back to azaleas.

        Regards,
        Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

        At 8:44 AM -0500 on 2/5/07, Joe Schild wrote
        Will,
        Interesting links on the subject.
      • Michael Campbell
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
          It's only been a few thousand years since the mason-dixon was the boundary between zones 9 and 10 and we'll see this again within a few thousand years even if mankind goes extinct tommorrow.
          From: "Joe Schild" <azaleajoe@...>
          Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:44:14 -0500

          Sent via the WebMail system at wcnet.net
        • Larry Wallace
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
            I WANT IT NOW!!!  It was zero degrees Fahrenheit this morning.  Two elepidotes have tubes.  I also wish we went metric.  Zero centigrados Celsius feels much better.
            Larry Wallace
            Cincinnati, Ohio

            PS  In the late Eighties Ohio and Indiana became southern states.  The state borders were moved 150 feet south of the Mason-Dixon line (i.e. the bank of the Ohio River at low water).  Indiana now has riverboat gambling.

          • sjperk5
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
              It is way too cold here in Salem, NH to be talking about GW. Hopefully
              in a little more than a week this cold spell will be over and we will
              be back to more normal winter temperatures.

              My guess is in a few years Al Gore's movie on GW will be considered
              this centuries sequel to "Refer Madness".

              John Perkins
              Salem, NH
            • Joe Schild
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
                Bob et al,
                Sorry for taking up space on our azalea list, but, as I am prone to do, I tend to jump right in on a topic that seems counter intutative or onto blanket statements. With that said, it will be my last on this topic.

                My rhododendrons are really drooping this morning and it's nice to know my deciduous azaleas are nice and comfortable.

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Cool_ Pennsylvania_ Partners/
                http://pets. groups.yahoo. com/group/ greenvibrations/
                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/greensuq/