Re: [AZ] Evergreen azalea seed pod

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
      iffy123,
      No, azaleas come evergreen and deciduous. Evergreen azaleas came to the USA
      from Japan with E.H. Wilson introducing them around 130 years ago. Sixteen
      deciduous species azaleas grow as natives in the eastern half of the USA and
      one along the Pacific Coast.

      Most people who do not know, think evergreen azaleas are native because they
      have been in cultivation so long, but they are exotics right up there with
      Barberry and Japanese Honeysuckle. That's not a put down for I love the
      evergreen azaleas, but not like our natives.

      Joe Schild Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
        From: "iffy123" <iffy123@...>
        Are not all azaleas evergreen?

        Not hardly. In fact the supposed "evergreen azaleas" only hold a small
        portion of the leaves they grow each spring over the winter.
        They should be called semi-evergreen azaleas.

        Harold Greer