Re: [AZ] Schlippenbachii

  • S. M. Henning
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
      Hank Schannen <hank6666@...> wrote:

      >Hello E. White---Here in NJ we need filtered shade for R. schlip. to
      >perform well--if not, the edges of the leaves burn in the summer sun--
      >does not harm the plant--just makes it unsightly---Hank Schannen

      Hi Hank,

      I know everyone recommends shade, but we have been growing a
      schlippenbachii for several decades on the south side of our house
      with no shade with no problem. It is gorgeous now with its fall
      foliage. Perhaps it takes several years to get accustomed to a full
      south exposure or there are different cultivars or seedlings in the
      trade. I got it from Lloyd Partain.
      --
      Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
        Someone ought to select some Royal Azalea forms for
        sun tolerance and propagate them vegatively. I
        haven't encountered any named forms in the nursery
        trade, all seem to be seed-grown.
        Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

        --- "S. M. Henning" <rhodyman@...> wrote:

        > Hank Schannen <hank6666@...> wrote:
        >
        > >Hello E. White---Here in NJ we need filtered shade
        > for R. schlip. to
        > >perform well--if not, the edges of the leaves burn
        > in the summer sun--
        > >does not harm the plant--just makes it
        > unsightly---Hank Schannen
        >
        > Hi Hank,
        >
        > I know everyone recommends shade, but we have been
        > growing a
        > schlippenbachii for several decades on the south
        > side of our house
        > with no shade with no problem. It is gorgeous now
        > with its fall
        > foliage. Perhaps it takes several years to get
        > accustomed to a full
        > south exposure or there are different cultivars or
        > seedlings in the
        > trade. I got it from Lloyd Partain.
        > --
        > Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
        >
        > Visit my Rhododendron and Azalea web pages at:
        > http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman/rhody.html
        >
        > Also visit the Rhododendron and Azalea Bookstore at:
        > http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman/rhodybooks.html

      • Tom Schuetz
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
          Mike, as noted earlier, most people do not experience success in propagating schlippenbachii from cuttings. This is perhaps a challenge you can take up.
          As for me, I accidentally planted my schlippenbachii  (grown from seed purportedly from Joe Gable's plant) where it gets full sun until about 3pm, then shade. It loves the site.
          Tom Schuetz
          schuetz101@...
          Mechanicsburg, PA   USDA Zone 6a

          --- "S. M. Henning" <rhodyman@earthlink. net> wrote:

          > Hank Schannen <hank6666@optonline. net> wrote:
          >
          > >Hello E. White---Here in NJ we need filtered shade
          > for R. schlip. to
          > >perform well--if not, the edges of the leaves burn
          > in the summer sun--
          > >does not harm the plant--just makes it
          > unsightly--- Hank Schannen
          >
          > Hi Hank,
          >
          > I know everyone recommends shade, but we have been
          > growing a
          > schlippenbachii for several decades on the south
          > side of our house
          > with no shade with no problem. It is gorgeous now
          > with its fall
          > foliage. Perhaps it takes several years to get
          > accustomed to a full
          > south exposure or there are different cultivars or
          > seedlings in the
          > trade. I got it from Lloyd Partain.
          > --
          > Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
          >
          > Visit my Rhododendron and Azalea web pages at:
          > http://home. earthlink. net/~rhodyman/ rhody.html
          >
          > Also visit the Rhododendron and Azalea Bookstore at:
          > http://home. earthlink. net/~rhodyman/ rhodybooks. html

          (http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta)

        • Bruce Clyburn
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
            One named form I've come across repeatedly is Sid's Royal Pink noted
            for its particularly large flower. Its propagated by tissue culture.
            Locally a fine form that grew on the grounds of the Kentville
            Agriculture Canada Station was put into t.c. and sold by the
            Cornwallis Nursery in the 1990's. Sun is not a problem at this
            latitude.

            Bruce Clyburn
            New Waterford, NS
            Canada
            zone 6a

            --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

            > Someone ought to select some Royal Azalea forms for
            > sun tolerance and propagate them vegatively. I
            > haven't encountered any named forms in the nursery
            > trade, all seem to be seed-grown.
            > Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

          • Bruce Clyburn
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
              Mike:

              I am very familar with a select form 'Sid (Burns)Royal Pink'. It was
              largely distributed via 'in vitro' or tissue culture (tc) for its
              large pink florets.

              I am growing a form referred to as Kentville Research Station (KRS)
              #1.It was propagated by tc in the 1990's by Cornwall Nurseries, now
              defunct. Up here at our latitude, sun is not a problem!

              Bruce Clyburn
              New Waterford, NS