Re: [AZ] Question about nomenclature

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
      Hi Mary,

      It should be Rhododendron 'Nancy of Robinhill'.

      The Rhododendron is in italics.  The multiplication sign is not used since it is not permitted in the code.  And, the cultivar name is enclosed in single quotes.

      By the way, the cultivar name is 'Nancy of Robinhill'.  While Robin Hill is usually two words, the code at the time permitted only three words in the cultivar name so Mr. Gartrell combined Robin and Hill so that particular cultivar is registered as 'Nancy of Robinhill'.

      Bill Miller
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      Mary Boyle wrote:
       [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

      Which is the correct nomenclature for hybrid Azaleas:  Rhododendron x 'Nancy of Robin Hill' or Rhododendron 'Nancy of Robin Hill'?

      Thank you.

      Mary Boyle
      Hatfield, PA

    • Ted Stecki
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
        Mary.....azaleas are rhododendrons,so the correct botanical nomenclature is....(Genus) Rhododendron(Variety/cultivar)' Nancy of Robin Hill', Then the (common name) Azalea Nancy of Robin Hill.....as Nancy of Robin Hill is an azalea, the correct nomenclature therefore is: Rhododendron 'Nancy of Robin Hill', Azalea Nancy Of Robin Hill. The genus is first, then the variety,then the common name. Therefore, a rhododendron such as Roseum Elegans would have the nomenclature....Rhododendron 'Roseum Elegans'. The nomenclature, Rhododendron X Nancy of Robin Hill is not correct. X generally denotes a cross,such as... Chionoides X Roseum Elegans...If this cross ended up with a plant that would be named 'Suzy'.it would have nomenclature of... Rhododendron 'Suzy' ......Chionodes X Roseum Elegans,could be put on the ID tag...The parents of the cross identifies  hardiness, bloodline and much more to a grower or future hybridizer etc.  If this is confusing, let me know.
        I make up plant labels for plant shows. I got my training from the Pennsylvania Horticutural Society.Labeling of a plant tells alot about the plant.....

        Ted Stecki
        90 Kresson-Gibbsboro Rd
        Voorhees, NJ 08043