azalea planted in pot question

  • Cynthia Guajardo
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2006

       [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

      I have a small, white azalea bush that is still in it’s store plastic container.  I would like to re-pot it into a larger clay container.  Is it ok to plant azaleas in containers or must they be planted in the ground?

      Thank you,

      Cynthia

    • landon4rxp
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2006
        --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "Cynthia Guajardo" <MKandMe@...>
        wrote:

        > [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]
        >

        > I have a small, white azalea bush that is still in it's store
        plastic
        > container. I would like to re-pot it into a larger clay
        container. Is it
        > ok to plant azaleas in containers or must they be planted in the
        ground?

        > Thank you,
        > >
        > Cynthia

        Cynthia

        Due to an anticipated move I have numerous azaleas that have thrived
        it pots for years. I prefer plastic pots to clay pots, since clay
        pots tend to dry out too fast. Good drainage is importent, I use 50%
        fine pine ( ground up pine bark ) and 50% good soil. The larger the
        pot the better - at least 3 gallons and 5 is better, if you intend
        this to be semi-permenant. I live in Richmond, VA, which was in
        drought this summer, so I watered thoroughy every couple of weeks. I
        keep them in high shade, no direct sun. A few of these have been in
        pots for over 10 years, though they have been repotted to slightly
        larger pots as needed due to growth.

        Landon Davis
        Richmond, VA
        landon4rxp@...