Fwd: Azaelas

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      [ please send a CC to samtimpa at cox.net of any reply ]

      Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:53:15 -0500
      From: Sam Timpa <samtimpa@...>
      Subject: Azaelas
      To: webmaster@...

      I have a question regarding new growth.

      I pruned my azaleas earlier this year and have sprayed them every few
      months with Miracle Grow all purpose plant food. I now have a lot of
      new growth. The new growth on the existing branches are quite long.
      In addition, the bushes have a lot of very tall new growth that has
      grown from the ground and is much taller than the bush itself. I
      find these quite unattractive and would like to cut them at the base.
      However, other individuals have suggested that I should let these new
      branches alone and just trim them when I prune in the early spring.

      What would be the best thing to do with the new growth from the ground?

      Thank you for your help.
      Marguerite Timpa
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
        Hi Marguerite,

        All of that fertilizer promoted new growth.  Perhaps you might cut back on the fertilizer in the future.

        During the summer, buds for next year's flowers develop.  If you trim now, you cut away next year's flowers.  The question that you have to ask yourself is --- which is more important?   Would I rather trim away the unattractive plant habit now recognizing that I would be reducing the number of flower next year?  Or can I wait until after they bloom next spring to do the trimming and shaping? It's a personal choice.

        Bill Miller
        Bethesda, Maryland
        www.theazaleaworks.com