Re: [AZ] white dwarf evergreen azalea

  • David Nanney
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Mary, your description is "challenging" as the description was a little light on details, however, if you have selected a white gumpo, it will stay relatively small, be very compact, and be a lovely plant for years.  And unlike SNOW, which in the interest of full disclosure, I would recommend be removed from the trade and never distributed to a poor collector again (there, I've said it and I now feel better....), the gumpos and other dwarf satsukis (generally late blooming and often dwarfish) won't turn an ugly brown once the direct sun touches the blossom.  There is a huge specimen of Snow at the White House in Washington D.C. which blooms a beautiful white, only to turn brown, and then the blossoms hold on forever.  It hurts me to have that so visible in such a public place.  Snow can be planted in relative deep shade and will remain a beautiful white for somewhat longer, but in my area of the world,  I am not pleased with it's behavior.  Sorry about the rant.  I have over 1,000 varieties and would recommend every one of them before I would recommend Snow.
      Dave Nanney
      Springfield, Virginia
      99 degrees today and going to 100 tomorrow.  I'm headed to Alaska (68) next week to cool off for a couple of day.