Severe fungus and flies

  • Karjmb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      This is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC.

      Last week, my mother noticed that her azalea bush was infested with flies.  Yesterday, upon closer inspection, I saw what appears to be small, white, round fungus attached to branching pats of the stems.  Leaves, in two areas have begun to drop off. The fly situation has also intensified.
      My mom lives in Queens, NY (Zone 6); we have had some very irregular weather over the past 6 weeks....more than normal rainfall and right now, extreme heat.

      Please advise as to what I can use to save her beautiful azalea.

      Thank you.

      JB
    • Sawyer, Ann HAMVAMC
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006

        I would think the fungus is due to the increased rainfall/moisture. I don’t know what type of fly would infest an azalea, but undoubtedly the increased rainfall is helping them breed prolifically.  I would spray with a combination fungicide/insecticide.  “Safer” makes one if you are wishing to be environmentally gentle.  Also available is plant food with systemic insecticide.  Horticultural oils will temporarily keep bugs away; you have to re-spray after a rain.  The fungus can also be alleviated with some baking soda dissolved in water (add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid – helps the baking soda stick to the leaves), but, again, must be re-applied after rain.  In my opinion, your best bet is to go to a local nursery (a real nursery, where they employ horticulturally trained people) and get their advice on a product to use.  Take in a sample of the fungus, even the fly, in a jar.

        Ann M. Sawyer

        AO, Geriatrics & Extended Care

        (757) 722-9961 x 3634

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
          Azalea Bark Scale- eriococcus azaleae --  White egg sacks in twig forks., If populations are low, damage is not severe, or beneficials are present, do not spray.  Beneficials will usually control this insect. If heavy infestation -use summer oil spray.

          Azalea White Fly- pealius azaleae--  or Azalea Lace Bug -stephanitis pyrioides

          pls check the listed Url for more insects and mites;

          Tadeusz -Illinois---  scorching hot/humid , thermometer northside of house reads 102.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
            The comment "I saw what appears to be small, white, round fungus
            attached to branching pats of the stems. Leaves, in two areas have
            begun to drop off." appeared to me to be describing azalea scale
            also. See http://www.pbase.com/bstelloh/problems and scroll down, to
            see pictures of it on some of my plants. It seemed like a really
            serious problem, with the leaves drying up and falling off, and the
            stems turning black. I eventually discovered a systemic insecticide
            containing Imidacloprid and that seemed to fix it.

            Regards,
            Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 6

            At 12:26 PM -0700 on 8/1/06, Tadeusz Dauksza wrote

            <http://ipm.ncsu.edu/current_ipm/otimages.html>http://ipm.ncsu.edu/current_ipm/otimages.html

[...]

            Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs.
            <http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=36035/*http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

            >Try it free.
          • sjperk5
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
              Bob

              I agree with both you assessment and treatment.

              John Perkins
              Salem, NH

              --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stelloh <bstelloh@...> wrote:

              > The comment "I saw what appears to be small, white, round fungus
              > attached to branching pats of the stems. Leaves, in two areas
              have
              > begun to drop off." appeared to me to be describing azalea scale
              > also. See http://www.pbase.com/bstelloh/problems and scroll down,
              > see pictures of it on some of my plants. It seemed like a really
              > serious problem, with the leaves drying up and falling off, and
              the
              > stems turning black. I eventually discovered a systemic
              insecticide
              > containing Imidacloprid and that seemed to fix it.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 6
              >
              > At 12:26 PM -0700 on 8/1/06, Tadeusz Dauksza wrote
              > Azalea Bark Scale- eriococcus azaleae -- White egg sacks in twig
              > forks., If populations are low, damage is not severe, or
              beneficials
              > are present, do not spray. Beneficials will usually control this
              > insect. If heavy infestation -use summer oil spray.
              >
              > Azalea White Fly- pealius azaleae-- or Azalea Lace Bug -
              stephanitis pyrioides

              > pls check the listed Url for more insects and mites;

              <http://ipm.ncsu.edu/current_ipm/otimages.html>http://ipm.ncsu.edu/cu
              rrent_ipm/otimages.html

              > Tadeusz -Il! linois--- scorching hot/humid , thermometer
              northside
              > of house reads 102.
              >

              > "Sawyer, Ann HAMVAMC" <Ann.Sawyer2@...> wrote:
              >
              > I would think the fungus is due to the increased
              rainfall/moisture. I
              > don't know what type of fly would infest an azalea, but
              undoubtedly
              > the increased rainfall is helping them breed prolifically. I
              would
              > spray with a combination fungicide/insecticide. "Safer" makes one
              if
              > you are wishing to be environmentally gentle. Also available is
              > plant food with systemic insecticide. Horticultural oils will
              > temporarily keep bugs away; you have to re-spray after a rain.
              The
              > fungus can also be alleviated with some baking soda dissolved in
              > water (add a drop or two of dishwashing liquid – helps the baking
              > soda stick to the leaves), but, again, must be re-applied after
              rain.
              > In my opinion, your best bet is to go to a local nursery (a real
              > nursery, where they employ horticulturally trained people) and get
              > their advice on a product to use. Take in a sample of the fungus,
              > even the fly, in a jar.
              > Ann M. Sawyer
              > AO, Geriatrics & Extended Care
              > (757) 722-9961 x 3634