Re: [AZ] vegetative growth in containers

  • habberg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
      Russell:
       If they are deciduous Azaleas, they must be forced into new growth during the present season. Put the rooted cuttings under artificial lighting.

      Harold Berg
      Rochester, Michigan Zone 6
    • S. M. Henning
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
        Russell Hutchens of Norfork Arkansas wrote:

        >I have rooted several hundred azalea cutting the last two years but
        >I have had trouble forcing them into active growth in the present
        >season and the next spring. Any replies are appreciated.

        Hi, Russell

        It sounds like you are raising deciduous azaleas. That is a problems
        with them. Evergreen azaleas will usually even form roots in a
        compost pile, well, almost.

        I am not experienced in rooting deciduous azaleas, but the Azalea
        Society of America has a good information sheet on this at:

        http://www.azaleas.org/index.pl/azpropagate.html#cut

        The last third of the section on cuttings deals specifically with
        deciduous azaleas. The trick is to keep them from going dormant.
        This is done with heat and artificial light to extend the day length.
        --
        Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6