Coleman's May Pink and other S.D. Coleman native azalea varieties

    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2006
      Has anyone compiled a list of distinctive and/or named
      native azalea varieties that were distributed by the
      late S.D. Coleman of Fort Gaines, Georgia, near the
      Alabama border? I grow Coleman's Early Yellow,
      Coleman's Sunshine (aka Rushins Yellow)

      This past Saturday (April 29) took photos of two tall
      old plants at Georgia Botanical Garden labelled
      Coleman's MayPink (R. arborescens) in mid-bloom. Two
      photos of Coleman's MayPink are attached. I could see
      NO sign of arborescens lineage in the two plants. I
      would like to hear from anyone who grows Coleman's May
      Pink or other Coleman varieties.

      If anyone has any old Coleman correspondence or plant
      lists, I would be interested in that two. I have a
      Coleman letter and list somewhere in the stuff I moved
      from my office after recent retirement, just have to
      find it. As I understand it, the old Coleman "Azaela
      Trail" of plants he propagated from still exists,
      though overgrown.

      Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      Nature is my Greenhouse
      Join the Azalea Society of America
      http://www.azaleas.org

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • earlsommerville@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2006
        Mike,

        I have attach photos of S.D.Coleman Early Yellow and S.D. Coleman Prunifolium.

        Earl

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2006
          Thank you Earl for the photos. Have you had the
          azaleas since the S.D. Coleman nursery was in
          operation or did you acquire them later. I think the
          Coleman's Early yellow is an even better yellow than
          your photo shows. Mine seemed yellower when it bloomed
          in 2004. No bloom for 2005. What do you see as
          special about the two plants?

          Has anyone written about Coleman and his nursery? He
          seems to be about the earliest nurseryman listing
          native azaleas. The early Fruitlands nursery in
          Augusta, GA, offered a solid list of evergreen
          azaleas, way back.

          I would bet that Coleman had a group of favorite
          varities that he kept propagating and offering. Ones
          that are naturally stoloniferous are the easiest to
          keep in stock, since they propagate themselves. I am
          hoping that a white periclymenoides I grow -
          Appalachian Spring - has that stoloniferous habit
          (like all of my periclymenoides) once it matures.
          Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

          http://mail.yahoo.com