Sticking Woody Cuttings of Calendulaceum NOW

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2006
      This week I will be sticking woody cuttings of Rh.
      calendulaceum collected from garden-growing plants in
      full bloom. I will be using my standard dome-pots in a
      shade bed. I will remove all soft leaves and green
      juvenile growth from the woody cuttings, since the
      cutting will use all of its energy trying to mature
      the juvenile growth, rather than putting down roots
      and producing new shoots. Cuttings will be treated
      essentially as a leafless woody dormant cutting and
      forced to start the season over by forming new
      branchews and leaves from hidden adventitious buds. I
      have done this before with flammeum and calendulaceum,
      but not on this scale. I will keep the group
      appraised of my progress.

      Today while viewing two large dome pots (6.5 gallon
      dome in 10 gallon pot) of Dove Tree cuttings, I could
      see the majority of cuttings will leafed out and
      looking good through the clear trash can domes.

      Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      Nature is my Greenhouse
      Join the Azalea Society of America
      http://www.azaleas.org