Re: [AZ] Dormant cuttings in the north

  • jpbruso@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
      In a message dated 3/30/2006 12:45:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mikeacreel@... writes:
      think that in YOUR area at any time toward the end
      of the dormant season you could take dormant magnolia
      cuttings from outdoor conditioned plants and stick
      them outdoors in dome-pots protected by a shade cloth
      (64-70 Coolaroo, medium density).  I would make sure
      that the lower pot (section with media) is somewhat
      protected from the elements by close spacing, a pot
      height surrounding frame and the intermediate areas
      filled with mulch or leaves.
      Thanks Mike.  I'll give it a try.
      Joe Bruso
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
        Yesterday I stuck dormant cuttings of Davidia
        involucrata, the dove tree or handkerchef(sp?) tree,
        that I had been refrigerating since March 1, and they
        were in perfect condition. I used 10 gallon pots with
        6 gallon clear humidity domes, to alow for good
        cutting spacing and room for large leaf expansion. I
        added lightly to the media surface a mixture of humus
        from Blackgum (Nyssa) and flowering dogwood (Cornus)
        which are local close relatives of Davidia. I drilled
        a 1.75 inch hole in the top of the dome for a
        removable vent and plugged it with a 1.5 inch rubber
        chair foot. I put the pots under my 64 -70 percent
        Coolaroo shade cloth, positioned about 4 feet off the
        ground. I tried to send four low resolution images to
        Harold Greer who supplied the cuttings but it bounced.
        I wonder if his address has changed?
        Mike Creel,

        http://mail.yahoo.com