Re: [AZ] R. mariesi

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
      Mike,
      See the atached picks of R. mariesi in bloom. The shrub shot shows it at
      about 7' tall, just about past full peak bloom, the pic taken on 04-01-04.
      I have had this species in gallon and three gallon pots sitting out in full
      sun with little care and still produce blooms each year. At one time I had
      propagated about 3,000 of the Asian species and could not interest anyone
      in giving them a try, so most were given away to friends, donated to plant
      sales, or at worst, sent to the compost bin. I may still have a couple in
      two or three gallon pots. I gave one species, I think was Mariesi, to Ed
      Collins over in Hindersonville, NC about 10 or 11 years ago and he stated
      it bloomed wonderfully. So there you have two very distinct climates, one
      in North Carolina and the other in Lousiania.

      Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
      Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!
      http://www.azaleas.org
    • Will and Kate Ferrell
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
        Joe,
            You say you have a couple of R.mariesi in 2 gal. pots.  Bring one to the Convention & I'll be happy to purchase it from you.

        Will Ferrell
        7a

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
          I do not know why R. mariesii has not become popular.
          It is beautiful, reminds me a bit of Rh, vaseyii.
          Does it have any drawbacks? There are some people who
          think an azalea has to be evergreen to be worth
          growing. I don't understand such people. Evergreen
          leaves harbor insect pests over winter and often don't
          look that great. Deciduous azaleas renew all there
          leaves every season and overwinter few to no pests.
          How difficult is R. mariesii to root. Great plant!
          Will it cross with anything? Is there a white form?
          Mike Creel, SC

          --- Joe Schild <azaleajoe@...> wrote:

          > Mike,
          > See the atached picks of R. mariesi in bloom. The
          > shrub shot shows it at
          > about 7' tall, just about past full peak bloom, the
          > pic taken on 04-01-04.
          > I have had this species in gallon and three gallon
          > pots sitting out in full
          > sun with little care and still produce blooms each
          > year. At one time I had
          > propagated about 3,000 of the Asian species and
          > could not interest anyone
          > in giving them a try, so most were given away to
          > friends, donated to plant
          > sales, or at worst, sent to the compost bin. I may
          > still have a couple in
          > two or three gallon pots. I gave one species, I
          > think was Mariesi, to Ed
          > Collins over in Hindersonville, NC about 10 or 11
          > years ago and he stated
          > it bloomed wonderfully. So there you have two very
          > distinct climates, one
          > in North Carolina and the other in Lousiania.
          >

          > Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
          > Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!
          > http://www.azaleas.org

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Joe Schild
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
            Mike,
            It has a nice size bloom that is larger than R. vaseyi. It will root under normal conditions and yes, a number of years ago, I got several white forms from a batch of seedlings and somehow lost them, perhaps sold as regular forms or given away, so someone got a bonus. There is a white form of R. riticulatum var. albiflorum.

            As far as R. mariesii  crossing with something else, it will cross with other members of the Farrerae Subseries (Section Brachycalyx  ). I tried crossing it with members of the Subseries Schlippenbachi, but nothing took. I have begun to think it is beautiful in its own right, as is without my tinkering with its genes.

            Except for the growth habit and to some degree bloom size and color, it is very much similar to R. reticulatum , Rose Azalea. I have had some very nice pink forms come from seed.

            Hope this info helps.

            --- Joe Schild <azaleajoe@...> wrote:

            > Mike,
            > See the atached picks of R. mariesi in bloom. The
            > shrub shot shows it at
            > about 7' tall, just about past full peak bloom, the
            > pic taken on 04-01-04.
            > I have had this species in gallon and three gallon
            > pots sitting out in full
            > sun with little care and still produce blooms each
            > year. At one time I had
            > propagated about 3,000 of the Asian species and
            > could not interest anyone
            > in giving them a try, so most were given away to
            > friends, donated to plant
            > sales, or at worst, sent to the compost bin. I may
            > still have a couple in
            > two or three gallon pots. I gave one species, I
            > think was Mariesi, to Ed
            > Collins over in Hindersonville, NC about 10 or 11
            > years ago and he stated
            > it bloomed wonderfully. So there you have two very
            > distinct climates, one
            > in North Carolina and the other in Lousiania.
            >

            > Joe Schild-Hixson, TN  USDA Zone 7a
            > Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!
            > http://www.azaleas.org

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mary & Bill McDavit
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
              Joe,

              I've got a small plant of R. Mariesi that I got at the TN convention. I
              assume it was donated by you. Our blooms look exactly like your 2nd. photo
              image. A very nice and faithful plant, blooming here on the coast of the
              Carolinas annually in Zone 8.

              Bill McDavit - Sunset Lakes, NC

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
                Bill,
                Hearing reports of some of my plants doing so well really makes me happy. I hope your R. mariesii lives long and prospers.

                Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
                Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!

                    I've got a small plant of R. Mariesi that I got at the TN convention.  I
                assume it was donated by you.  Our blooms look exactly like your 2nd. photo
                image.  A very nice and faithful plant, blooming here on the coast of the
                Carolinas annually in Zone 8.

                Bill McDavit - Sunset Lakes, NC

                > Mike,
                > See the atached picks of R. mariesi in bloom. The shrub shot shows it at
                > about 7' tall, just about past full peak bloom, the pic taken on 04-01-04.
                > I have had this species in gallon and three gallon pots sitting out in
                > full
                > sun with little care and still produce blooms each year. At one time I had
                > propagated about 3,000 of the Asian species and could not interest anyone
                > in giving them a try, so most were given away to friends, donated to plant
                > sales, or at worst, sent to the compost bin. I may still have a couple in
                > two or three gallon pots. I gave one species, I think was Mariesi, to Ed
                > Collins over in Hindersonville, NC about 10 or 11 years ago and he stated
                > it bloomed wonderfully. So there you have two very distinct climates, one
                > in North Carolina and the other in Lousiania.
                >

                > Joe Schild-Hixson, TN  USDA Zone 7a

              • Buddy Lee
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
                  Joe,

                  Have you considered naming one of these R. mariesii?  I've never been able to grow R. mariesi until I got this plant.  This form is very fertile and sets a lot of seeds.  I'm guessing its self fertile or it is crossing with early blooming evergreen azaleas. The bumble bees and honey bees are really working the azalea blooms here today.

                  Buddy Lee
                  Zone 8
                  SE LA

                  Joe Schild <azaleajoe@...> wrote:
                  Bill,
                  Hearing reports of some of my plants doing so well really makes me happy. I hope your R. mariesii lives long and prospers.

                  Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
                  Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!

                      I've got a small plant of R. Mariesi that I got at the TN convention.  I
                  assume it was donated by you.  Our blooms look exactly like your 2nd. photo
                  image.  A very nice and faithful plant, blooming here on the coast of the
                  Carolinas annually in Zone 8.

                  Bill McDavit - Sunset Lakes, NC

                  > Mike,
                  > See the atached picks of R. mariesi in bloom. The shrub shot shows it at
                  > about 7' tall, just about past full peak bloom, the pic taken on 04-01-04.
                  > I have had this species in gallon and three gallon pots sitting out in
                  > full
                  > sun with little care and still produce blooms each year. At one time I had
                  > propagated about 3,000 of the Asian species and could not interest anyone
                  > in giving them a try, so most were given away to friends, donated to plant
                  > sales, or at worst, sent to the compost bin. I may still have a couple in
                  > two or three gallon pots. I gave one species, I think was Mariesi, to Ed
                  > Collins over in Hindersonville, NC about 10 or 11 years ago and he stated
                  > it bloomed wonderfully. So there you have two very distinct climates, one
                  > in North Carolina and the other in Lousiania.
                  >

                  > Joe Schild-Hixson, TN  USDA Zone 7a

                  Yahoo! Mail

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
                    At 8:50 PM -0500 on 3/6/06, Joe Schild wrote
                    >Mike,
                    >See the atached picks of R. mariesi in bloom. The shrub shot shows it at
                    >about 7' tall, just about past full peak bloom, the pic taken on 04-01-04.
                    >I have had this species in gallon and three gallon pots sitting out in full
                    >sun with little care and still produce blooms each year. At one time I had
                    >propagated about 3,000 of the Asian species and could not interest anyone
                    >in giving them a try, so most were given away to friends, donated to plant
                    >sales, or at worst, sent to the compost bin. I may still have a couple in
                    >two or three gallon pots. I gave one species, I think was Mariesi, to Ed
                    >Collins over in Hindersonville, NC about 10 or 11 years ago and he stated
                    >it bloomed wonderfully. So there you have two very distinct climates, one
                    >in North Carolina and the other in Lousiania.
                    >

                    >Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
                    >Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!
                    >http://www.azaleas.org

                    Yes, it was R. mariesii you gave to Ed Collins, and you can see proof
                    of it blooming wonderfully at http://www.pbase.com/image/44379524 and
                    the next picture. And to keep it going, Ed gave me a rooted cutting
                    of that same R. mariesii last year, which I planted out last fall
                    next to an R. sanctum I've had for a long time -- you can see a bunch
                    of pictures of the R. sanctum at http://www.pbase.com/image/17083632
                    and following.

                    Regards,
                    Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
                      Buddy, do you ever collect and distribute your R.
                      mariesii seeds? I would be interested in trying to
                      grow some. Also, if anybody out there has a white
                      form of R. mariesii, and is willing to part with 3
                      cuttings, I would be most generous in plant bartering.
                      The time for sticking dormant cuttings of plants is
                      about to end. But you can get around that by removing
                      new, tender leaves from a spring cutting, treating it
                      like it was dormant and making it start the season
                      over.
                      Mike Creel, Lexington, SC, 8A

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
                        At 1:28 PM -0800 on 3/7/06, Mike Creel wrote
                        > Also, if anybody out there has a white
                        >form of R. mariesii, and is willing to part with 3
                        >cuttings, I would be most generous in plant bartering.

                        I don't have a white R. mariesii, but I have a white R. weyrichii,
                        with similar foliage. You can see it at
                        http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/49576243 and two following
                        pictures. As you can see, it blooms well before the leaves unfold.

                        And I am willing to send you some cuttings, and I know you have been
                        very generous with your plants, at least with me.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
                          Buddy,
                          I have not named any of the R. mariesii seedlings or any of the other Asian species, for I was more interested in propagating good forms and getting them into gardener's hands and gardens. If you think the one you have is worthy of naming, please do so, since it seems to have established well to your deep south heat and weather.

                          It is really too bad that azalea nuts did not find favor with these delightful azaleas until after I quit producing them and now, well, I just do not have the energy to do it. The early bloom time for most of them and our native species really fills out a complete blooming season from mid to late March until mid September, ending with R. prunifolium. With some of my interspecific hybrids, the gaps between some of our species have been filled, too.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
                            Bob,
                            That is great news. The plant I gave Ed was really too large for the container it was in and the trunk was about 2" in diameter. I hoped it survived and thrived. The pic of the flowers looks just like the one I sent to the list yesterday of a day before. Nearly all of the seedlings produced similar flowers with the main diferences being in shrub habit.

                            I am really impressed with the quality and quanity of pics now posted to pBase.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 7, 2006
                              I would greatly appreciate 3 to 5 cuttings of your
                              white weyrichii. Are they still dormant? Do you have
                              the normal species color also. A few cuttings of each
                              would be wonderful. Read my directions below. I am
                              preparing my third annual propagation workshop for the
                              Cullowhee native plant conference in July and will
                              include a segment on transporting and storing
                              cuttings, as well as selecting and taking cuttings.
                              You would not believe the people who write me who are
                              successful using my propagation methods, from all
                              over.
                              My address is: Mike Creel, 155 Cannon Trail Road,
                              Lexington, SC 29073

                              I have found that jointed cuttings, such a Y shape,
                              with 1.5 to 2 inches of stem below the joint and two
                              or more branches 2 to four inches above the stem, of
                              last season's wood combined with wood up to 3 or so
                              years old is the very best azalea cutting you can
                              take. Dormant cuttings ship extremely well in simply
                              an empty ziplock bag, slightly inflated in a padded
                              envelope or small box. I usually take cuttings from
                              lower limbs with just leaf buds, but if such are not
                              available I take cuttings with flower buds, which I
                              pinch off when sticking the cutting

                              I never add any moisture to the cuttings in a sealed
                              envelope, as they seem to have enough on their own.
                              Too much moisture also softens the hard woody stem.
                              Some friends of mine like to wet woody cuttings and
                              shake them about dry when storing or mailing which
                              also works. Overnight storage of the bag in the
                              fridge seems to help. Standard airmail will work fine
                              for dormant woody cuttings, so priority mail is not
                              necessary.

                              Your Good Friend Mike Creel