Re: [AZ] question about plant labels

  • Sally/John Perkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2006
      Jim

      If you find the answer to that question let me know.

      I use single quotes for cultivar names. Rhododendron 'Westons' Pink Diamond'

      I use italic for species names. Rhododendron minus var. minus grp.
      carolinianum 'M. L. Webb' where Rhododendron minus minus and carolinianum
      are in italics.

      I use italic and single quotes when a species or cultivate are the primary
      parents in an unnamed cross which is most likely not correct.

      I do not know was to do with references such as Rhododendron dauricum
      'Delp's Dwarf' with the Delp's Dwarf although I tend to put it in quotes if
      I think it is a reference to a specific plant in all cases.

      I do not know what to do with things such as RSF 89/304

      The list of what I do not know is nearly endless with regard to this
      question.

      I never know when to use X before a name which I see all the time in nursery
      catalogues.

      John Perkins

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2006
        Jim

        Right or wrong here is what my label would read:

        R. canescens 'Vanadoes Pink'

        I have been attempting for 3+ years to get all my rhododendrons labeled. Now
        if I only had the 800 plants I thought I had I would be done but I seem to
        have at least 400 more than I thought I had so despite 1000+ labels I still
        have many that do not have the new brother labels.

        My recommendation is to not be to concerned about little things since R.
        canescens 'Vanadoes Pink' or canescens vanadoes pink or 'Vanadoes Pink' all
        get the job done. In my opinion the primary purpose of label is to allow
        you to know what the plant is.

        I have great respect for those who can manage to store every last piece of
        information about a plant on its label using the proper notation and
        terminology but when I see a plant in some else's garden what I want to know
        is the name and care very little about the format used as long as I can read
        it.

        Now Sally and I seldom have an argument about buying plants but my advice to
        anyone whose spouse gives them grief concerning buying plants is simple and
        straightforward which is put yourself in a position to buy a large number of
        plants in a single purchase this way you have one big fight rather than
        several small to medium sizes ones. I do not know what Dr. Phil would say
        about this advice but I have never understood why any spouse would complain
        about a purchase that keeps the purchaser spouse at home more assuming money
        is not the primary issue. On the other hand, I also do not see how a few
        cartoons can be the basis for starting WWIII so if you have reason to
        believe the large single purchase is bad advice you could well be right.

        John Perkins