Re: [AZ] Keeping squirrels off of Air layers

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2006
      Tom,
      My former description of the spuirrel is really too kind. They are not only crafty, but devious and very smart in a develish way that will drive me crazzy trying to defeat them. A bird feeder less than six feet from the ground, a tree, a shrub, or even a powerline is in easy jumping range of the fuzzy tails. I laughed my sides off watching a squirrel trying to climb a bird feeder pole I had slipped a length of PVC on only to see him climb a slender shrub and launch the greatest jump I had ever seen. His front claws managed to catch the very edge of the feeder and that critter swung up and eat to his content. It was about that time I decided to do no more bird feeding and chose to use native shrubs that produce berries or fruits that the birds eat in fall and winter. I also leave loads of seed heads on the perennials for the seed eating birds like the fenches.

      I have a number of dog wood species and the birds do love the seed as do they love the hollies, too. A resident Cardinal fusses at me each year when I do a cut back on several hollies and a Brown Thrasher guards a large Gray Dogwood for the blue fruit. What ever they may find in the compost bin they can have, too. We now seem to have more birds than every and the early mornings are beatiful with song in the spring and summer. If Icould just get the Mocking bird to shut up from 1:00 to 6:00 am I would be happy.

      By the way, I did use 22 shorts so the distance or power thing was not a factor. With a scope on my rifle I do a good job, but of course I do live in a rual area.

      Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
      Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!