Re: [AZ] Easy ways to post Photos everyone can see--another option

  • Tadeusz Dauksza
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
      Jim;

       I have participated/contributed  for the last 5 years in Garden web forums, and originally the forums/participants  were  great in MHO , but when they started to be split-up into individual states , the participation started to decline, as the same questions, comments were evident on multiple forums, although being a membership chair of the ARS chapter and the ASA i was able to recruit some new members to both societies.  I have noticed the same condition almost occurring with the Rhodo group on Yahoo, lack of participation of most members there who have signed-up . The acid loving group  is totally dead, that's why I think the Azalea group is the best for now, as we welcome all, and besides,  where do you find a  Mike Creel to keep us going.

      later Tadeusz--  temps going to 40 F today.

      Jim Willhite <jwillhite@...> wrote:
      I agree with Steve Henning, there are a number of painless ways to share
      photos with the group--and sharing photos is a practice which I strongly
      encourage!  (Steve, your photo of Apricot Flush has me drooling on the
      keyboard).  I really like photobucket, but there are others that Steve has
      identified which are very easy and free.

      And there is still another option.  The Garden Web's Azaleas and
      Rhododendrons forum (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/azalea/?31518) is
      terribly underutilized.  Looks like Steve and I are the last to have posted
      there.  The photo gallery of that forum (click Switch to Gallery link at the
      top of the forum page) is all but dead, and that is a shame, because it is a
      great vehicle for sharing photos with each other, and with rhodie and azalea
      newcomers.  Although Garden Web runs annoying ads, nevertheless, it *is*
      free and there are thriving GW forums and photo galleries devoted to other
      plant groups--half a dozen, in fact, for roses alone.  What is most striking
      about some of those other forums is how many newcomers and beginners drop by
      to learn a little and then start participating.

      I like the web-based forum approach to communications about our favorite
      plants--in fact, I can't think of a better way to attract newbies and
      outsiders to rhodies and azaleas.  Now, its not as private or exclusive as
      the closed, email system that we are using thru Yahoo right now, but who
      needs closed and private.  Heck, we're talking about gardening.

      I am going to post a few rhodie and azalea pix over at the GardenWeb
      Rhodie/Azalea site in a few minutes, just to try to get the old ball
      rolling.  Please join in.

      Best in gardening to all of you in 2006!

      Jim Willhite
      West Chester, Pa

    • Sally/John Perkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
        Tadeusz

        What encourages and discourages active participation is an interesting question?

        I find both the Rhodo and Azalea forums to be very informative but agree in part that they indeed have a different feel about them although I would have a difficult time saying what the differences are and have no real clues as to why.

        I personally interact the same way on both forums despite knowing next to nothing about evergreen azaleas and have only limited knowledge of deciduous azaleas when compared to most in the azalea forum. Again on the rhodo forum most know more about producing and growing rhododendrons that I do.

        I assume I know more than most about growing rhododendrons and azaleas on the shores of Canobie Lake in Salem, NH and much less about growing them anywhere else and try to response accordingly.

        I tend to like reading both facts and opinions and enjoy responding to both.

        I agree Mike Creel is an valuable asset.

        John Perkins

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
          Folks, I am starting to blush (from the two
          complements) down here in the south of intermittent
          winters. I have been working to set up a cobbled
          together "new" computer system since after supper
          Saturday night and continue to work on it, with
          registering various parts of the system, downloading
          Open Office and setting it up, and moving e-mail
          messages and addresses from my older computer. After
          that I will be hooking a multi-purpose Brother
          printer, scanner, copier, fax, etc.

          But, while there is light and sufficient warmth, my
          gardening continues. The weather was 30F this morning
          and us up to 61F in the shade of my kitchen porch by
          mid-day. Saturday, my wife took photos of me doing
          stuff like drilling pots, taking cuttings, sticking
          cuttings and collecting humus for use with an article
          I just wrote for South Carolina Wildlife magazine.

          I did get to drill a few pots for real though Saturday
          and stick cuttings of Nova Branco azalea and Rh.
          albiflorum. I have drilled pots and large.....
          humidity domes ready for sticking cuttings of a unique
          Magnolia grandiflora X virginiana tree I found at the
          family farm, my brother's favorite pear tree and a
          rare oak Quercus bicolor. I have more dormant
          cuttings to stick and a passle of different seeds,
          mostly azalea, to plant. Oh yes, there are two kiwi
          seedling to plant and seeds from a Tennessee
          Silverbell tree (Halesia).

          At the end of February, when I retire, I plan to get
          more serious about gardening. I will wear my two sets
          of gallus overalls thin, and hopefully me, thinner. I
          can't button the top side button on either pair at the
          moment. That means I have to wear a shirt.

          Winter here in the SC midlands is on and off, perfect
          for gardening.

          Bye for now.
          Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.