Re: [AZ] Easy ways to post Photos everyone can see--another option

  • Larry Wallace
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31 5:06 PM

      And there is still another option.  The Garden Web's Azaleas and
      Rhododendrons forum ( http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/azalea/?31518) is
      terribly underutilized.

      Jim Willhite
      West Chester, Pa

      Gardenweb is unweildy for now.  It was just purchased by Dave Whitinger.  He owns DavesGarden.com.  It is an extremely easy site to navigate.  I was a member, but frequently could not get all of the info, so I subscribed for $15 per year.

    • Tadeusz Dauksza
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
        Jim;

         I have participated/contributed  for the last 5 years in Garden web forums, and originally the forums/participants  were  great in MHO , but when they started to be split-up into individual states , the participation started to decline, as the same questions, comments were evident on multiple forums, although being a membership chair of the ARS chapter and the ASA i was able to recruit some new members to both societies.  I have noticed the same condition almost occurring with the Rhodo group on Yahoo, lack of participation of most members there who have signed-up . The acid loving group  is totally dead, that's why I think the Azalea group is the best for now, as we welcome all, and besides,  where do you find a  Mike Creel to keep us going.

        later Tadeusz--  temps going to 40 F today.

        Jim Willhite <jwillhite@...> wrote:
        I agree with Steve Henning, there are a number of painless ways to share
        photos with the group--and sharing photos is a practice which I strongly
        encourage!  (Steve, your photo of Apricot Flush has me drooling on the
        keyboard).  I really like photobucket, but there are others that Steve has
        identified which are very easy and free.

        And there is still another option.  The Garden Web's Azaleas and
        Rhododendrons forum (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/azalea/?31518) is
        terribly underutilized.  Looks like Steve and I are the last to have posted
        there.  The photo gallery of that forum (click Switch to Gallery link at the
        top of the forum page) is all but dead, and that is a shame, because it is a
        great vehicle for sharing photos with each other, and with rhodie and azalea
        newcomers.  Although Garden Web runs annoying ads, nevertheless, it *is*
        free and there are thriving GW forums and photo galleries devoted to other
        plant groups--half a dozen, in fact, for roses alone.  What is most striking
        about some of those other forums is how many newcomers and beginners drop by
        to learn a little and then start participating.

        I like the web-based forum approach to communications about our favorite
        plants--in fact, I can't think of a better way to attract newbies and
        outsiders to rhodies and azaleas.  Now, its not as private or exclusive as
        the closed, email system that we are using thru Yahoo right now, but who
        needs closed and private.  Heck, we're talking about gardening.

        I am going to post a few rhodie and azalea pix over at the GardenWeb
        Rhodie/Azalea site in a few minutes, just to try to get the old ball
        rolling.  Please join in.

        Best in gardening to all of you in 2006!

        Jim Willhite
        West Chester, Pa

      • Sally/John Perkins
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
          Tadeusz

          What encourages and discourages active participation is an interesting question?

          I find both the Rhodo and Azalea forums to be very informative but agree in part that they indeed have a different feel about them although I would have a difficult time saying what the differences are and have no real clues as to why.

          I personally interact the same way on both forums despite knowing next to nothing about evergreen azaleas and have only limited knowledge of deciduous azaleas when compared to most in the azalea forum. Again on the rhodo forum most know more about producing and growing rhododendrons that I do.

          I assume I know more than most about growing rhododendrons and azaleas on the shores of Canobie Lake in Salem, NH and much less about growing them anywhere else and try to response accordingly.

          I tend to like reading both facts and opinions and enjoy responding to both.

          I agree Mike Creel is an valuable asset.

          John Perkins

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
            Folks, I am starting to blush (from the two
            complements) down here in the south of intermittent
            winters. I have been working to set up a cobbled
            together "new" computer system since after supper
            Saturday night and continue to work on it, with
            registering various parts of the system, downloading
            Open Office and setting it up, and moving e-mail
            messages and addresses from my older computer. After
            that I will be hooking a multi-purpose Brother
            printer, scanner, copier, fax, etc.

            But, while there is light and sufficient warmth, my
            gardening continues. The weather was 30F this morning
            and us up to 61F in the shade of my kitchen porch by
            mid-day. Saturday, my wife took photos of me doing
            stuff like drilling pots, taking cuttings, sticking
            cuttings and collecting humus for use with an article
            I just wrote for South Carolina Wildlife magazine.

            I did get to drill a few pots for real though Saturday
            and stick cuttings of Nova Branco azalea and Rh.
            albiflorum. I have drilled pots and large.....
            humidity domes ready for sticking cuttings of a unique
            Magnolia grandiflora X virginiana tree I found at the
            family farm, my brother's favorite pear tree and a
            rare oak Quercus bicolor. I have more dormant
            cuttings to stick and a passle of different seeds,
            mostly azalea, to plant. Oh yes, there are two kiwi
            seedling to plant and seeds from a Tennessee
            Silverbell tree (Halesia).

            At the end of February, when I retire, I plan to get
            more serious about gardening. I will wear my two sets
            of gallus overalls thin, and hopefully me, thinner. I
            can't button the top side button on either pair at the
            moment. That means I have to wear a shirt.

            Winter here in the SC midlands is on and off, perfect
            for gardening.

            Bye for now.
            Mike Creel, Lexington, SC

            Just $16.99/mo. or less.