Re: [AZ] Hold-downs for layering azaleas

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2005
      At 12:49 PM -0800 on 12/9/05, Mike Creel wrote
      >I love to reuse and recycle household items in
      >horticulture. And I am trying to come up some some
      >commonplace discarded whats-it to use as a hold-down
      >clip for doing simple limb layering propagation of my
      >native azaleas. Today in the yard while going to pick
      >up the mail I noticed a goodly number of "wannabe"
      >layers that just needed something to hold them snugly
      >to the ground. I know everybody uses bricks, but I
      >want something smaller and less conspicuous like an
      >extra-long staple. I am toying with the idea of
      >cutting off some metal shower curtain holders. But
      >there has to be something (in multiples) just laying
      >around to make "plant staples" out of. I would
      >appreciate any and all suggestions. Hmm, some heavy
      >scrap wire might work.....

      Coat hanger wire is one of my favorites. It's basically free and just
      the right size for plant staples, wind chime hangers, plant label
      holders and etc. The only problem is it rusts away, but it would
      certainly last long enough to get your layers rooted.

      Regards,
      Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7
    • Robert Callaham
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2005
        Mike,

        We bonsai hobbyists produce many pounds of scrap copper or aluminum
        wire when we unwind the wire from branches that have decided to stay
        where they were positioned. I have pounds of such non-rusting wire,
        twisted, but easily straightened and snipped and bent into simulated
        hair-clips. Some bonsai clubs gather such used wire and sell it to
        salvagers. You may be able to contact a local club as a source. If not,
        tell me how many pounds you want and of what wire sizes, and I will put
        an add in my next newsletter to my bonsai club. Our wire would not be
        free, for you would have to pay for postage, UPS, or whatever.

        Bob Callaham
        Orinda CA
        On Dec 9, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Mike Creel wrote:

        > I love to reuse and recycle household items in
        > horticulture. And I am trying to come up some some
        > commonplace discarded whats-it to use as a hold-down
        > clip for doing simple limb layering propagation of my
        > native azaleas. Today in the yard while going to pick
        > up the mail I noticed a goodly number of "wannabe"
        > layers that just needed something to hold them snugly
        > to the ground. I know everybody uses bricks, but I
        > want something smaller and less conspicuous like an
        > extra-long staple. I am toying with the idea of
        > cutting off some metal shower curtain holders. But
        > there has to be something (in multiples) just laying
        > around to make "plant staples" out of. I would
        > appreciate any and all suggestions. Hmm, some heavy
        > scrap wire might work.....
        >

        > Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
        > The Azalea Nut Not-Inc.
        > Join the Azalea Society of America
        > http://www.azaleas.org

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
        >

        > When you reply to an email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as
        > context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo
        > lines. And PLEASE tell us your city, state and/or USDA zone.
        >
        > We welcome attached images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x
        > 480 pixel JPEG images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal. By
        > attaching them you agree that, without giving up your rights to them,
        > they may be shown on Azalea Society websites.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • matthew chappell
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2005
          Hello all,

          Yes, it's the pesky grad student (nerd... HA HA HA) again. And this has
          nothing to do with azaleas but a lot to do with helping out myself and some
          of the other graduate- foreign exchange students here at the University of
          Georgia Agriculture Experiment Station.

          It is pretty simple actually... all we ask is that when you or your family
          dine out at Wendy's, you save the cup with the Airtran coupon on it. You can
          cut the coupon out and simply mail it to my address below. If you want we'll
          send you the postage it required to get the coupon(s) to us. I think that 3
          coupons will fit in an envelope with a single stamp... more than three takes
          a 2d stamp.

          We do thank you for doing this. There are several of us here that can not
          afford to go see family/friends and while this will not help us over the
          Christmas holiday, it will help during Easter as 64 coupons = one free
          roundtrip ticket on Airtran. I personally have a fiancé (never get that word
          right for a lady) I would love to go see (haven't seen in 3 months). There
          is a German exchange student who would like to visit friends/family in Los
          Angeles, and there are other graduate students who simply would like to take
          a vacation rather than being stuck in Griffin, GA.

          Best wishes and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

          Matthew R. Chappell
          Georgia Agricultural Experiment Station
          Horticulture Dept.- Plant Breeding & Genetics
          1109 Experiment Street
          Griffin, GA 30223
          Office- (770) 229-3369
          Cell- (770) 715-6585