Shortening Pistil for better pollination

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2005
      I wrote fairly recently about a problem I encountered
      with a one-way cross whereby the pollination of a
      shorter-pistiled evergreen azalea by pollen from a
      longer-pistiled worked, but the reverse did not work.
      I found out today that a friend of mine from Japan had
      already reported this problem to the American
      Rhododendron Society Journal. He thinks it may be due
      to too-long pistil length in the receiving or seed
      parent flower which prohibits the foreign pollen
      grains from travelling down the pistil all the way to
      reach the ovules. He recommends using smaller
      flowered azaleas with shorter pistil tubes as the seed
      parent.

      So I have two questions:
      Has anyone ever tried shortening the pistil on a
      deciduous azalea by half length or more and applying
      pollen to the freshly cut pistil? Was it successful.
      My friend Clarence Towe recommended pistil shortening
      for pollination several years ago.

      Does anyone know of any deciduous azalea cultivars or
      varieties (yellow needed) that have shorter, stouter
      pistils than normal?

      Year before last I photographed a flower of either
      Aromi Glory Be or Aromi Lemonade that had greatly
      shortened stamens and pistil. I had my chance and
      blew it. That was one weird flower.

      Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      The Azalea Nut Not-Inc.
      Join the Azalea Society of America