Re: [AZ] azalea bug id?

  • S. M. Henning
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
      "matthew chappell" <vt2uga@...> wrote:

      >You're correct about the sevin... it will kill most critters (even humans if
      >we ingest about a gallon of liquid sevin). However, from asking around and
      >reading, I have found that the BT-products sold in retail outlets are also
      >non-specific when it comes to caterpillars and worms. The BT product that
      >you purchase at Lowe's, Pike's, etc. will kill a wide range of caterpillars
      >(from imported cabbage worm to monarch cattes). BUT BT won't kill mature
      >insects such as bees, praying mantis, walking sticks, butterflys!
      >Additionally, BT is persistent on the foliar and soil surface. Sevin breaks
      >down quickly in water due to its rather loose hydrogen bonding of the active
      >ingredient.
      >
      >When you get right down to it... a chemical is a chemical... they are all in
      >my opinion quite terrible.

      BT is Bacillus thuringiensis kurstaki, a natural living bacteria, not
      a chemical. It is a living thing, a natural predator just as lady
      bugs, walking sticks and praying mantis are.

      "Btk has a short persistence owing to its sensitivity to UV light.
      No adverse effects have been recorded in approved field use. No
      adverse effects have been observed on birds, fishes and honeybees."

      [http://www.ncipm.org.in/Bacillus%20thuringiensis%20subsp%20kurstaki.htm%5d
      --
      Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

    • Mary & Bill McDavit
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
        Thanks, Steve. It's good to know that at least two of us think along the
        same lines.

        Bill McDavit - Sunset Lakes, NC - Zone 8