Azalea cuttings

  • Sno
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2003
      I have been ofered some azalea cuttings. Is there any magic way to
      get them to strike? I am rather 'brown thumbed' when it comes to
      this sort of thing.
      TIA
      Sno
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2003
        Sno:
        As a rule most people don't stick azalea cuttings
        (either evergreen or deciduous) until the spring and
        summer growing season unless they have a heated
        greenhouse or an indoors terrarium-like growing
        chamber with fluorescent lights. Where I live in the
        midlands of South Carolina I am able to stick azalea
        cuttings (both kinds) year-round outdoors in pots with
        clear domes (made from soft-drink or gallon spring
        water bottles) under a shade cloth (reducing sun by 64
        to 70 percent).
        You are probably in a colder area than I am, so I
        would recommend sticking cuttings in summer after new
        growth has hardened.
        With evergreen azaleas I like to make a short cutting
        of about 3 inches including some brown older wood at
        the base and current season's hardened growth at top
        with the stem end pinched off. The media you use must
        be fast draining, primarily bark soil conditioner.
        Make a fresh angled cut at the base of the cutting and
        make an inch long scratch in the bark at the cutting
        base, remove the lowermost leaves for about 2 inches
        and stick the cutting into the media up to the first
        leaves. I don't use rooting hormone powder, but you
        can.
        Cut a 2 or 3 liter clear soft drink bottle in half
        making an even circle and put the top half with cap on
        over the cuttings (in a gallon plastic nursery pot)
        after you have lightly watered them. A U-shaped loop
        of wire can be used as a hold-down on the lid,
        advisable. Then put the pot-dome unit in protected
        shade, watering it once weekly if no rain. I use a
        green Coolaroo 64-70 percent shade cloth. Once
        cuttings are rooted simply remove the bottle cap and
        let cuttings harden off for at least 6 weeks. Remove
        the clear dome and allow cuttings to grow in the
        original pot for the rest of the year, transplanting
        them to invidual pots.
        If you are intending to root native deciduous azaleas,
        that is a different world, but there are easy
        effective ways, even during winter.
        Mike Creel in South Carolina
        --- Sno <snoharvey@...> wrote:
        > I have been ofered some azalea cuttings. Is there
        > any magic way to
        > get them to strike? I am rather 'brown thumbed'
        > when it comes to
        > this sort of thing.
        > TIA
        > Sno

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Peter Pharr
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2011

          Can an Azalea be reproduced with a cutting from a healthy plant?

          Thanks,

          Gail Lawhorn

          Pkp1@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 20, 2011
            Hi Gail,

            The answer is yes.  The pdf attachment is a set of instructions developed by Don Hyatt.

            William C. Miller III (Bill)
            Bethesda, Maryland --- Zone 7
            www.theazaleaworks.com