Fertilizing seedling, cutting azaleas; Making a plant buoy

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      I am usually a non-fertilizer person but I am getting
      anxious and want to speed up the progress of some
      azalea seedlings and rooted cuttings. I plan to
      dissolve 1/8 teaspoon of Miracid fertilizer into 32
      ounces of water in a spray bottle, which is half
      strength from the recommendation. And I will apply
      this to outdoor-growing seedlings and rooted cuttings
      by spray.

      I have used this mixture of 1/8 teaspoon of Miracid
      per 32 ounces of water before on seedling native
      azaleas grown indoors (under lights in winter) inside
      a clear container of long fiber sphagnum moss (1/3
      filled) with excellent results. This was when I used
      to plant all my azalea seeds indoors. Now I am
      strictly outdoors. At the time I also added fungicide
      (1/8 teaspoon of Benlate to 32 ounces of water) to the
      spray for the indoors seedlings. I don't plan to use
      any fungicide for the outdoors spray. What do yall
      think of this?

      I also need advice on how best to join a length of
      gray water pipe insulation (for half inch pipe)
      together into a ring to serve as a flotation buoy for
      water plant pots. I think the insulation is
      polyurethane. My first effort involved putting a one
      to two inch section of CPVC pipe inside the
      insulation. Then using a hot glue (craft) gun I
      secured pipe to insulation and glued the outside seam.
      I am not sure how long this will hold outdoors in
      water, so I need a better idea.

      Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      The Azalea Nut Not-Inc.
      Join the Azalea Society of America