Re: [AZ] Book Prices at Callaway

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2004
      Mike,
      The prices I gave are right and these are new books. Also, Ed Riley's new
      book on rhododendrons was priced at $5.00. Usually when a publisher closes
      out a book title, they will offer them very low to various organizations as
      remainders and there will be no reprints.

      No, Callaway does not grow all 16 native species.

      Joe Schild
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2004
        Do you know if Callaway will sell those books mail
        order if I contact them by phone or e-mail.
        Callaway Gardens is probably too coastal to have
        success with the colder climate native azaleas like
        canadense, prinophyllum, calendulaceum, cumberlandense
        and vaseyii, and too humid for occidentale.

      • Joe Schild
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5, 2004
          Mike,
          I do not know if they will sell the books by mail or telephone order. I tend
          to think they will not, but give it a try. One reason they may be selling
          the books so cheaply is the azalea festival days with plant sale and loads
          of other stuff going on. If you contact them, do confirm the prices for the
          books you want, for it may have been a special for the event.

          In the gardens, the grow all but Canadense, Occidentalle, and Vaseyi as
          natives species. There are many of the other species growing to large
          specimens.

          Joe
          > Do you know if Callaway will sell those books mail
          > order if I contact them by phone or e-mail.
          > Callaway Gardens is probably too coastal to have
          > success with the colder climate native azaleas like
          > canadense, prinophyllum, calendulaceum, cumberlandense
          > and vaseyii, and too humid for occidentale.
          >
          > --- Joe Schild <azaleajoe@...> wrote:
          > > Mike,
          > > The prices I gave are right and these are new books.
          > > Also, Ed Riley's new
          > > book on rhododendrons was priced at $5.00. Usually
          > > when a publisher closes
          > > out a book title, they will offer them very low to
          > > various organizations as
          > > remainders and there will be no reprints.
          > >
          > > No, Callaway does not grow all 16 native species.
          > >
          > > Joe Schild

        • DELORIS SMITH
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 6, 2004
            Mike - I called yesterday and they were wiped out on the azalea books.
            There is a toll free number on the Callaway Gardens Web Site so you can call
            free. I put my name on the list because I want the Azalea Book desperately.
            I check it out from the library..in fact I have it now. I can't afford the
            $65.00 it cost to buy at the book stores. If anyone out there would share a
            copy I would greatly appreciate it. I really need the Azalea book by Fred
            Galle to study and grow the azaleas properly. Thanks in advance for anyone
            who might share a copy with me.
            Deloris Smith
            7935 Bethel Road
            Gainesville, GA 30506
            404-312-1831 (cell)
            > Do you know if Callaway will sell those books mail
            > order if I contact them by phone or e-mail.
            > Callaway Gardens is probably too coastal to have
            > success with the colder climate native azaleas like
            > canadense, prinophyllum, calendulaceum, cumberlandense
            > and vaseyii, and too humid for occidentale.
            >
            > --- Joe Schild <azaleajoe@...> wrote:
            > > Mike,
            > > The prices I gave are right and these are new books.
            > > Also, Ed Riley's new
            > > book on rhododendrons was priced at $5.00. Usually
            > > when a publisher closes
            > > out a book title, they will offer them very low to
            > > various organizations as
            > > remainders and there will be no reprints.
            > >
            > > No, Callaway does not grow all 16 native species.
            > >
            > > Joe Schild

          • rich93023
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6, 2004
              --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "DELORIS SMITH" <smit5857@b...>
              wrote:
              > Mike - I called yesterday and they were wiped out on the azalea
              books.
              > There is a toll free number on the Callaway Gardens Web Site so
              you can call
              > free. I put my name on the list because I want the Azalea Book
              desperately.
              > I check it out from the library..in fact I have it now. I can't
              afford the
              > $65.00 it cost to buy at the book stores. If anyone out there
              would share a
              > copy I would greatly appreciate it. I really need the Azalea book
              by Fred
              > Galle to study and grow the azaleas properly. Thanks in advance
              for anyone
              > who might share a copy with me.
              > Deloris Smith
              > 7935 Bethel Road
              > Gainesville, GA 30506
              > 404-312-1831 (cell)

              Deloris,
              You might try Alibris ( http://www.alibris.com ) and/or ABEBooks (
              http://www.abebooks.com ). Most often, they have several used
              copies for sale - for a lot less than the going price for a new
              copy. Good luck.
              Regards,
              Rich Dodson