Re: [AZ] viscosum and Koromo Shikibu

  • Sally Perkins
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 5 9:56 AM
      Ken,

      This viscosum....looks a lot like Weston nursery's plant of 'Viscosum #7' we
      have. It has shiny upper leaf surface, a glaucous lower surface and
      fragrance. Rather vigorous and like Sandra McDonald I would agree that its
      probably a viscosum x arborescens or cumberlandense hybrid. I am attaching
      my image of Viscosum #7. BTW this is a stupid name for any hybrid but Weston
      was simply trying to keep them straight.

      Earlier blooming is the viscosum hybrid 'Pink and Sweet' grown here in full
      sun which helps develop the thick leaves and its very glaucous. Another much
      later blooming plant is viscosum glaucum NOT. Mislabeled but worth the end
      of July bloom, in this photo from last year.

      I have a plant of viscosum 'Betty Cummins' with pale pink flowers and
      fragrance. For the most part the wild viscosums in this neck of the woods
      might show some pink in bud and pale pink in flower they are what I would
      call white. Variable in how long the tubes are or how well the lobes of the
      corolla open but remarkably similar in flower. The glaucous ones are pretty
      much all in sun but not all the sunny-sited ones are glaucous.

      Sally Perkins, Salem, NH USA

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 5 1:52 PM
        Ken

        You might want to consider showing this image to Wayne Mezzit.

        Weston Nursery grew Ghents for years and almost all the Weston late blooming
        deciduous azaleas have this native flower shape.

        Now I do not in any way think it is a Weston but Weston has experience
        knowing what to expect when you cross natives. It has some of the look of
        Popsicle but Popsicle is just not that pink and most Weston's that have
        viscosum in them tend to show white tones on the midrib of the flower. When
        I saw the image I thought 'Keowee Sunset' which is a calendulaeum X
        periclymenoides which has the same large yellow blotch but much redder
        overtones especially in the stamens. However in my experience plants of this
        cross are not late.

        Other than for the blue foliage there are dozens of named deciduous azaleas
        that have this look. I surprised to see how uniform the pink in the bud
        color, main flower color, and stamens and pistol.

        If it is fragrant, blooms late, has good fall color, is easy to grow, is
        hardy, and blooms every year I would buy it if it were available. Good blue
        foliage is very desirable here.

        John Perkins

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 6 2:09 PM
          Both Weston cultivars Viscosum No. 7 and Popsicle are
          beautiful. Do they have any drawbacks. I grow a fair
          number of Weston varieties and have yet to find an
          unworthy one. I bought a grown, heavily budded plant
          dormant just before Christmas 2004 and it put on a
          show (just now finishing) about the same time as a
          nearby Sarah Ferguson oblongifolium. Someone could
          write a book just about Viscosum hybrids and the
          several former species - serrulatum, coryii,
          oblongifolium - that have now been lumped within
          viscosum. Viscosum seems to cross with a lot of
          different rhododendrons, including at least one
          evergreen one.

          The right form of viscosum might well be the one to
          cross effectively with an evergreen azalea. You would
          have to save evergreen pollen, because not a lot of
          evergreen azaleas bloom concurrently with most
          vicosums. I pollinated one truss of my yellow
          Transplant Nursery Lemon Drop with a misnamed
          large-flowered white Satsuki from Carolina Nursery in
          Moncks Cornor.
          Mike Creel
          The Azalea Nut
          Zona 8A, SC

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
          http://discover.yahoo.com/
        • Jim Willhite
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6 7:30 PM
            Gee that Viscosum #7 sure is nice. Was it distributed by Weston? Have
            never seen it offered
            jim willhite
            west chester, pa

          • sjperk5
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 7 5:25 PM
              Jim

              Sally and I look forward to Mass Chapter hosted conventions for only
              one reason. It is one of the few times when you can get Weston
              Nursery hybrids in 4 inch pots supplied by Weston Nursery. They
              noramlly sell to the landscape trade and I just do not like to start
              with plants that big and to be honest I would rather have 15 $3
              plants than 1 $45 plant.

              The more years I watch the Weston plants in my yard the more amazed I
              become with how much more suited for New England gardens these our
              than most rhododendrons sold in the trade. They were breed for New
              England and you can tell. The more severe the winter the more they
              standout. If someone in New England wants only a few rhododendrons,
              they are silly to try anything that has not been breed by Weston. I
              never seen a Weston you would die to have but on the other hand they
              are good plants in every way and they never seem to die. I think some
              of their lepidotes and deciduous azaleas are very good and they
              extend both ends of the bloom season. The fall and winter color on
              many Weston rhododendrons is outstanding.

              I do not think Viscosum #7 was ever available from Weston on a large
              scale. I do not think it ever had a name. It has flowed around Plants
              For Members for many years and does root relatively easily for a
              deciduous azalea. It is not as easy as Marydel or My Mary but it is
              pretty easy.

              John Perkins
              Salem, NH