RE: [AZ] Unknown mid-June pink azalea = SUMMERTIME

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2005
      Dan:
      Thank you greatly for the photos and comparison. I
      agree that my unknown June azalea must be Summertime.
      I really thought it put on quite a show in my friend's
      yard, with plant shape and bloom display. I don't
      know how it got to South Carolina. I will try to find
      out how long my friend has grown it. I think it was
      planted by a prior garden owner. I wonder what year
      it debuted in the nursery trade.
      By the way I planted my first Stewartia ovata bed
      yesterday about dark, including one 6-inch seedling
      from Alabama and two 3-foot tall cuttings from a
      Virginia garden that I rooted in early March 2003

      Your Friend, Mike Creel, SC, Zone 8A

      --- "Krabill, Daniel" <dkrabill@...>

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail
    • Harold Greer
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
        Sorry Mike, it is not 'Summertime', even though it looks like his picture.

        'Macrantha Double' has been around a long time and is far more common.
        Since your neighbors have had it long time, it makes much more since that it
        is 'Macrantha Double', even if you think your other 'Macrantha' blooms
        earlier. 'Macrantha Double' blooms now and is much more likely what your
        friends have in their gardens.

        Harold Greer
        > Thank you greatly for the photos and comparison. I
        > agree that my unknown June azalea must be Summertime.
        > I really thought it put on quite a show in my friend's
        > yard, with plant shape and bloom display. I don't
        > know how it got to South Carolina. I will try to find
        > out how long my friend has grown it. I think it was
        > planted by a prior garden owner. I wonder what year
        > it debuted in the nursery trade.
        > By the way I planted my first Stewartia ovata bed
        > yesterday about dark, including one 6-inch seedling
        > from Alabama and two 3-foot tall cuttings from a
        > Virginia garden that I rooted in early March 2003
        >
        > Your Friend, Mike Creel, SC, Zone 8A
        >
        > --- "Krabill, Daniel" <dkrabill@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Mike,
        > > Your unknown mid-June pink azalea looks a lot
        > > like a plant I grow as
        > > Summer Time. Galle lists Summer Time under Satsukis
        > > as (Sawada
        > > seedling; Nuccio) Deep yellowish pink, 43C,
        > > semidouble to double,
        > > 2-2-1/2 inches. The 2003-2004 Nuccio calalog lists
        > > Summer Time under
        > > Satsukis as "Rose pink. Medium, semi-double to
        > > double. Vigorous,
        > > bushy, upright growth. L-VL." (late to very late)
        > > I would describe my Summer Time as a bright rosy
        > > pink double
        > > (similar to Nuccio's color description, quite
        > > different from Galle's)
        > > with no sporting in color but a lot of variation in
        > > flower form
        > > including hose in hose and semi-double. Its first
        > > bloom for me this
        > > year came around June 12. On June 26, it had a lot
        > > of blooms, mostly
        > > faded, but still a few buds. By this morning all
        > > the buds had bloomed.
        > > I have attached three pictures, one from 2003
        > > and two from this
        > > year. The most accurate as to color is the one
        > > labeled 20050618, that
        > > is June 18, 2005. The latest picture, taken on June
        > > 26, is of faded
        > > flowers in full sun but shows the leaves accurately
        > > and some unopened
        > > buds. I have not paid a lot of attention to getting
        > > an accurate photo
        > > of Summer Time, because I prefer other Satsukis
        > > having multi-colored
        > > flowers and a lot of variability.
        > > My records show that I got it in 1992 from Bruno
        > > Kaelin, a member of
        > > our Northern Virginia ASA chapter, who has been
        > > quite accurate as to the
        > > names of azaleas.
        > > Dan Krabill
        > > McLean, Virginia
        > > Zone 7

      • Harold Greer
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
          Sorry, all! I do know the difference in meaning between "since" and "sense"
          as used in my last email

          Spell checkers don't solve these stupid goofs, and I should read my emails
          twice.

        • Krabill, Daniel
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
            Message
            Harold,
                I am a little surprised that you would say definitively that Mike's plant is not Summer Time, even though it looks like the picture.  If it looks like the picture, at least that is a possibility.
                Regarding bloom time, if Mike's plant blooms at a different time from Macrantha Double in his area, it seems unlikely that his plant is Macrantha Double.  I am surprised that you would cite the bloom time of Macrantha Double in Oregon in identifying a plant in South Carolina -- the bloom time relative to other azaleas that grow in both places might be helpful, but not the fact that your Macrantha Double is in bloom now in an area where most azaleas presumably bloom later than they do in South Carolina.
                On the other hand, I do not think one can identify an unknown azalea positively by a picture.  I would not even be sure of the identification of the unknown azalea if it appeared to be identical to a named azalea planted next to it.  I do not know how many late blooming evergreen azaleas there are with erect growth habit, small leaves, and rosy pink flowers varying from hose in hose to double.  I suspect that there are more than two, particularly if you include varieties that have never been named.
                    Dan Krabill
                    McLean, Virginia

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
              Message
              Dan,

              I'm sorry that you have a few facts wrong.

              I did not mean definitively, but more than likely, since 'Macrantha Double' is older and more common.

              Mike does not grow 'Macrantha Double', he was talking about another 'Macrantha', which may or may not even be a 'Macrantha'.

              The bloom time in Oregon is not that much different from South Carolina especially with the late blooming azaleas.

              Harold Greer