Re: [AZ] azaleadendrons & Melbas Dream

  • Ken Cox
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005
      We can grow any azaleodendrons we have tried. We still have Martha Isaacson,
      Valley Sunrise, Glory of Littleworth. But none are worth growing
      commercially due to rust, poor winter foliage. But as most deciduous azaleas
      are perfectly hardy in the UK, it would be expected that most azaleodendrons
      are too.

      Mike Creel is correct that we need a new word for evergreen x deciduous
      azaleas

      Technically it should be made up of the two sections

      Tsutsusipentanthera would probably be what it should be.

      Melba's Dream: see picture below from Long Mountain Nursery website.

      now that really looks like it might be the hybrid it claims to be. At last.
      Look at the flower colour, flower shape, stamen length, stigma. Now we would
      need to look at the leaves carefully.

      One of the things which convinces me 100% that Pyrored is 100% evergreen
      azalea is that it is fertile. Extreme crosses are, in my experience, always
      sterile.

      Ken Cox, Glendoick