Rooting Kalmia

  • john barnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      Now that yall have taught me how to root Rhododendron, etc. I have found
      that the same techniques work well for Camellia and Holly and a few other
      shrubs. But I always fail completely with Kalmia. I know this is a little
      bit off the subject-but it's related. Is there some secret to success with
      Kalmia?

      John Barnes
      Greenwood, SC
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
        I don't root a lot of Kalmia, primarily Kalmia
        latifolia (mountain laurel) since I encounter so few
        distinct forms in the wild, but find it probably
        easier than native azalea (just slower growing). Year
        before last in mid-May I was on a native azalea
        expedition on some bluffs which were covered with
        white blooming mountain laurel, making it difficult to
        spot white azaleas. So I collected a few woody
        cuttings (not layers), stuck them out in fast-draining
        media/pots with clear ventable propagation domes in
        controlled shade, cut all leaves in half diagonally,
        wounded the lower stem that went into the media and
        before sticking cuttings I sprinkled a light layer of
        humus from a healthy old mountain laurel in my woods.
        Two of those cuttings are in the ground along my
        trail.