Re: Fwd: overwatered?

  • rich93023
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2004
      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stelloh <bstelloh@M...> wrote:
      > [please cc <cmunnster@y...> on any reply]
      >
      > >Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:42:27 -0800 (PST)
      > >From: Courtney Munn <cmunnster@y...>
      > >Subject: overwatered?
      > >To: azaleas-owner@a...
      > >
      > >My new azalea bush (planted 5 days ago) is looking
      > >very wilty and droopy. I think it's in mostly full
      > >shade. Leaves feel very moist and a bit soggy. I
      > >read to water it daily to encourage soil to
      > >settle...which I have. Is it over-watered? Also, we
      > >have lots of clay in our soil and little acidity. I
      > >did mix potting soil with clay when planting it.
      > >Should I water it every single time with the Miracle
      > >Grow azalea formula (blue box), or just occasionally?
      > >
      > >Thank you,
      > >Courtney

      Courtney,
      I would only water a transplanted azalea when the top 2 or 3 inches
      of soil feels dry. (Unless the weather is very hot and dry, in
      which case you could probably water a bit more often.) No, I
      wouldn't feed with every watering, too much plant food can kill
      azaleas. They probably shouldn't be fed more than a couple of times
      per summer (after blooming has finished) at the recommended
      strength. You could feed more often if you dilute the fertilizer
      accordingly.
      Regards,
      Rich Dodson (USDA zone 9)