RE: [AZ] Seeking Small mortar & pestle for crushing anthers

  • iffy123
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      No, but you could probably make one using a "soft boiled egg" cup and a
      dowel. You have been a very resourceful fellow with your pots, my
      question would be--How or why they dry anthers would contain pollen
      since I thought it blew or fell off after a period of time, or else
      became so dry it would lose its ability to pollinate.

      The smallest mortar an pestle that I have seen is in a kitchen gadget
      store or an old fashioned pharmacy. You might try either source.

      Barbara
      MS GULF COAST

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
        I think I found one for around $6 in one of those
        catalogs that comes to your house unsolicited. FYI,
        the drying of freshly collected pollen is essential to
        preserving its viability. Once dry the pollen from
        azaleas and rhododendrons can be stored in the fridge
        or freezer for extended periods, even at room
        temperature for a good while. If pollen stays moist
        it will spoil and lose viability. I simply pick fresh
        stamens that have pollen visible in the two little
        pollen holes at the end. I have over the past few
        years asked several experts how they collect, store
        and use pollen, but I am a novice and most often just
        use fresh pollen that is dripping from the anthers,
        encouraged by a finger thump. One recommendation was
        to grind up anthers in a small crucible (mortar bowl).
        A popular Japanese method for pollen collection and
        storage involves catching the pollen on textured
        paper. There is a lot more to this than I am going
        into.
        Mike Creel, Zone 8A, SC

        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html