Re: [AZ] cycles

    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2005
      One point I was trying to make with my start of
      discussion on growth cycles in azaleas was that our
      native azaleas (perhaps evergreens too) would be
      healthier and bloom better if we drastically trim back
      BEFORE they reach the end of a cycle period (when they
      become less vigorous are supporting a lot of old stems
      with poor vascular systems) after which most of the
      main old stems will naturally die back.

      The population of flammeum I observed for several
      seasons on the South Edisto River near Denmark,SC
      seemed to be on a 10 to 12 year cycle (based on the
      similar size of 3 past seasons of decaying trunks
      nearby) after which the large main stems or trunks
      would die and fall over, AND the plant would
      regenerate from the low stump and roots, similar to a
      perennial that dies back annually, but has a root that
      is many years old.
      Mike Creel
      Zone 8A, SC
      --- Will and Kate Ferrell <bearrun3@...>
      wrote:
      > Barry,
      > Klondyke seems on that exact 2 yr cycle you
      > describe. Others seem to
      > also, though so many of my plants are fairly young
      > that I'm slow to draw a
      > firm conclusion on them.
      >
      > Will

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Tadeusz Dauksza
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        Will;

         Windsor Buttercup--   I have 3 plants about 3 to 4ft tall,   only one this year bloomed, the other 2 no trusses----   last year all  3 had wonderful trusses on them,   did those 2 took a year "off" ???  ,  I notice that cherry trees sometimes take a year off,   mast year on oaks, thus could azaleas take a year off??.

        tadeusz -Lake Michigan Chapter of ASA.

        Will and Kate Ferrell <bearrun3@...> wrote:
        Barry,
            Klondyke seems on that exact 2 yr cycle you describe.  Others seem to
        also, though so many of my plants are fairly young that I'm slow to draw a
        firm conclusion on them.

        Will

        > >That your Pink Ruffles plant has thrived vigorously
        > >after bush-hogging supports a pet theory of mine that
        > >azaleas are really just long-cycle perennials (not
        > >annual) growing from a long-lived root.
        > >
        > Somewhat tangentially, this follows along the lines of another thought
        > I've had when noticing how many plants seem to work on a 2-year cycle (
        > or longer ).  One year they'll be covered with flowers, then, later that
        > year, the vegetative growth will be seen to be poor.  The next year the
        > bloom is poor but is followed by good vegetative growth and the
        > following year the bloom is good again.  I have noticed Tradition and
        > Mother's Day often followed that pattern.  Palestrina might follow a
        > 3-year cycle.  Any other such observations?   If there are many more
        > comments perhaps the subject line needs a change.
        >     Barry
        >

        > When you reply to this email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as
        context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.
        Also PLEASE tell us where you garden (city, state or at least your USDA
        zone).

        > We welcome images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel .jpg
        images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        When you reply to this email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  Also PLEASE tell us where you garden (city, state or at least your USDA zone).

        We welcome images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel .jpg images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal.

        Discover Yahoo!