Re: [AZ] white azalea puzzle

  • T. Huisman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 5:41 AM
      Bob Stelloh wrote:

      1. > While your plant looks so much like 'White Find' that I would
      > hesitate to name it, I would defer to more knowledgeable folks on
      > this list. I believe 'White Find' was in fact found in the wild.

      AND:

      2. > The almost-definitive way to see if an azalea name has already been
      > used is to look for it at <http://www.azaleas.org/azxintro.html>. It
      > shows there is not yet an azalea named 'Fred Minch'. And I completely
      > agree there should be.

      Bob and All,

      1. I will only - at least that is my intention - introduce a new hybrid, if
      I am sure it is something new or a good improvement. So, introducing a sort
      of new 'White Find' will be superfluous.

      2. As soon as I have a new azalea hybrid, that is worth introducing, and
      nobody else has done it, I will name it after 'Fred Minch'. This is a
      promise!

      And the 3rd subject, though we went through it many times is petal blight
      again.
      In Germany I heard from some nurserists, that they use 'Rovral'. It contains
      'Iprodion' and works against (I read on the pacakage):" 'Botrytis cinerea'
      and 'Alternaria' spp.' in all kinds of plants, vegatables etc. And I am told
      that it also works against petal blight!!
      One of us wrote, that this disease spontaniously came up some years ago,
      while it was not seen before.
      This is also my experience!!
      Till 4 years ago I never had any problem with petal blight, 'Ovulinia
      azaleae'. Then suddenly I got it in my garden and wondered what it could be.
      I went to Germany and visited some well known rhodoparks, and guess what? It
      was there also, and I had not seen it before there too!!! Very remarkable!!
      I don't know what 'Iprodion' chemical is, I see on the internet that it
      should not be in food. Anyway, I do not intend to eat rhododendrons.
      Yesterday I saw some infected flowers, and next week I will spray and tell
      you if it works.

      Best regards and thanks for your help, also Theo Damen.

      Tijs Huisman
      Netherlands, zone 7 - warm and moist today.