Rooting NAZ-was DMSO

  • john barnes
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      Mikw Creel,

      Thanks for the information. I used DMSO and hormone on soft spring cuttings
      of various NAZ. I thought I had pinched out the terminal buds, but now that
      I look at them I see quite a few that seem to have been missed or else they
      have set new ones. I will make sure I get them pinched out next time.

      I would like to try your dormant method. When do you take your cuttings?
      And I would be interested in your media formulas.

      When you say that you need to leave at least a half inch between the dome
      and the pot, I get a little confused, but perhaps your mean that the
      diameter of the pot must be 1 inch larger than the diameter of the dome so
      there is a shelf of exposed media to catch the water. Have I understood?

      John Barnes, Greenwood, SC
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
        John you are correct. I am too often a poor
        explainer. I mean that the diameter of the pot must be
        "at least" 1 inch larger than the diameter of the dome
        so there is a shelf of exposed media to catch the
        water. And the pot should be not filled with media
        much over half, which aids in continued fast drainage
        and keeping the propagation dome in place.

        Recently have added a new feature of a 10-gauge wire
        u-shaped hold-down with a loop at the top to fit
        around the bottle spout to my unorthodox propagation
        pots (which incidentally work year-round for me always
        with woody cuttings in spring. summer, fall and
        winter). A 27-inch piece of wire forms a hold-down
        for the 3-liter propagation dome (one gallon pot) and
        a 32-inch wire forms the hol-down for the gallon dome
        (3 gallon or larger pot). After MUCH experimentation
        with clear bottles as rooting domes I have settled on
        two: a 3-liter soft-drink bottle cut in half (drill a
        7/8 inch hole in center of bottom half for a vent,
        plug with 5/8 chair bottom).

        At your location in Greenwood, SC, you can take
        dormant cuttings right now. Always keep the pots in
        shade (I use a 64-70 percent Coolaroo green [for luck]
        mesh shade cloth 5 feet or so above the cuttings) and
        water once per week if no rain. Rather than a
        single-stemmed cutting, I have found that a
        multi-stemmed cutting with joint works better, always
        removing the end buds by pinching or clipping. I am
        attaching a photo-illustration of my one-gallon
        dome-pot, but the media level is two high and the
        appearance of the media is NOT correct. I will detail
        my two media formulas - Rocky Road Coarse and Rocky
        Road Regular - in a separate message.

        http://search.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
          John, I think this information will fully explain my
          two media mixes and how I use them.

          I think that smaller 1/8 to 1/16 inch diameter stems
          (jointed stem pieces are best, with just leaf buds at
          ends preferred) taken from usually low on the azalea
          bush with all terminal buds rubbed or clipped off, and
          any too long cuttings (more than 3 inches) made into
          two or more cuttings. Every joint with two or more
          branches should be made into a cutting, wounding the
          lower stem from bottom up onto the base of the
          branches and planting it to cover the wound. Pots
          contain my two media mixes - on bottom Rocky Road
          Coarse, above Rocky Road Light and the surface
          sprinkled lightly with fresh azalea humus. Do not
          fill pots beyond half full.
          My media mixes
          I keep P&L Bark soil conditioner, Baccto Pro potting
          mix, medium coarse perlite, Pea Pebbles from Home
          Depot and natural aquarium gravel (smallest of two on
          shelf, using one 5 pound bag to a mix batch when I am
          using a gallon pot for a scoop to keep proportions
          consistent, mixing one batch of media at a time in a
          large pot, 10 gallon I think.
          I fill my seedling and cutting pots NOWADAYS just half
          full, which helps drainage greatly, helps propagation
          dome stay in place (even without wire hold-down) and
          allows headroom for seedlings to grow. I use two
          mixes, the coarser one on bottom, topped by 2 inches
          or more of the less coarse. And on top I sprinkle some
          azalea humus collected from just below the unrotted
          leaves at the base of a native azalea nearby, a very
          light dusting.
          >Then water that before sticking cuttings or
          sprinkling seeds, then water again before putting
          hardware cloth cap on the seedlings or a propagation
          dome in place. Put the seed pots in sun and the
          cutting pots in shade, reliable shade (I use a 64-70
          percent green Coolaroo shade cloth).

          >Rocky Road Coarse media mix
          >3 parts soil conditioner
          >2 parts Baccto Pro or Fafard 3B
          >1 part Pea Pebbles (product of Global Stone Corp in
          Buchanan, VA, sold by Home Depot stores)

          http://search.yahoo.com