Re: [AZ] question:lichens

  • S. M. Henning
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      "JOT" <JimPatsy@...> wrote:

      >lats spring i purchsed a product to use in my vegetable garden and
      >in reading the label i found it could be use to control lichens.
      >the product "kop-r- spray" by "lilly miller".it contains 8% metallic copper.
      >'i tried it and am pleased with the results.( requires several treatments.)
      >i don't have a photo of before but the first attmt is a couple of
      >limbs of the plant i treated.the sec photo is of the plant i plan to
      >treat this spring and will follow up with an after photo this fall.

      Why would anyone want to control lichens (Lichenes)? They are
      harmless. They derive their nourishment from the air, and generate
      by means of spores. A favorite theory of lichens (called after its
      inventor the Schwendener hypothesis), is that they are not autonomous
      plants, but that they consist of ascigerous fungi which grow
      symbiotically with algae. New Zealanders love wooden garden
      furniture that looks bleached and is covered with lichens. Lichens
      are almost as attractive as Spanish moss and just as harmless.
      Epiphytes are not parasites. They are pioneer plants that help
      recover severely damaged areas.

      Jerral Johnson of the Texas extension service published the following:
      "The effect of lichens on a tree are only slightly detrimental. The
      plants are epiphytes. That is they derive their nutrients from the
      air and not from the plant on which they are growing. Although they
      are not parasitized, literature reports suggest that lichens do have
      a slight negative effect. The main concern is that lichens give a
      tree an unkept appearance. Presence of lichens also is a good
      indicator of a thin tree canopy. This often leads homeowners to
      conclude that lichens are the cause and not the effect of thin
      foliage. The best control for lichens is maintain the tree in good
      condition. This will insure a dense canopy which will shade the limbs
      and reduce photosynthesis. Without photosynthesis, lichens are not
      able to manufacture food needed for growth and development.

      Copper containing fungicides are suggested as possible controls for
      lichens. Applications of Kocide DF for the control of ball moss, have
      been observed to control lichens for a short period of time.
      Currently copper fungicides are not approved for lichen control.
      Because of their limited affect on a plant, chemical control is not
      suggested."
      --
      Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

    • William Sweeney
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
        Jim

        I'm sure that Steve Henning is correct when he says that lichens appear
        on woody plants that have thin leaf cover. That's been my observation.
        The question arises, "why is leaf cover thin?" If the plants are not
        huge old things that have naturally slowed down their growth with age,
        I suspect it's due to a poor growing environment, most likely poor soil
        conditions.

        Essential to thriving azaleas and other rhodies are: 1) well aerated
        soil, 2) proper pH, 3) a good balance of organic and inorganic
        material, 4) adequate (but not too strong) nutrients, 5), adequate (but
        not too much) moisture and 6) adequate light (for the particular type
        of plant). All of these should be checked and corrected if necessary.

        If you're not sure how to go about it, a state agricultural experiment
        station can help answer #1, 2, 3, and 4. Other gardeners with plants
        like yours can help answer # 5 and 6.

        If the plants are not too far gone I suspect a "cure" will be found
        here. If things are very far out of line, of course, it may be
        necessary to move the plants to make the needed corrections. They may
        then need to be "babied" for a while until they recover their health.
        It won't be instantaneous but should be obvious as next year's growth
        appears.

        Bill Sweeney
        Concord, Mass. where the temperature today is about 60F (16C) and our
        last 8 inches (20 cm.) of snow is disappearing fast. Warm rains and
        maybe floods expected tomorrow.