Re: [AZ] Applying Tanglefoot to stop bud borers

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
      Mike,
      Perhaps, I am most fortunate in that I have never had problems with the cutworm. Other pesky critters like leaf rollers, yes, but no cutworms. "Tanglefoot" works very well for controlling the aphids farmer ants herd and other pests. At the arboretum, we had problems with Deer Flies and man they do bite. I ran across an article on Deer Fly traps and we gave it a try. It seems that Deer Flies go after moving targets and are attracted to the color blue, so we mounted a bright, blue ball coated with Tanglefoot on a pole, and then attached that pole to our tractors and mowers. No more bites and the balls ended up covered with stuck Deer Flies that were mad as blazes.

      The author of the article stated that he suffered much ridicule after he mounted a blue painted ball to his hard hat, but got the last laugh when he didn't get bit and the others on his staff did. BTW, this man is a professor at the University of Florida and I found his paper with a Google search on Deer flies.

      The only problem was washing off the dead Deer Flies and not getting fingers stuck along with them. A word of caution, for on one occasion I laid the "sticky ball" on the ground and the next day I found two toads stuck to it. Toads eat more insects than the ball caught, so it was zero sum situation.

      Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
      Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!