RE: [AZ] chemistry

  • Joe Schild
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      Larry,
      Since many of us are not chemists and have no clue as to why you posted this thread, I can only assume it has something to do with toxicity of members in family Ericaceae, and which I thought we beat to death,  or the information is about the chemicals used in microculture, or you have too much time on your hands and needed to research something.

      Does your post link to a previous thread? How about putting a clue in the Subject Line. It would sure help in putting things in context.

      Joe Schild-Hixson, TN USDA Zone 7a
      Ask a friend to join the Azalea Society of America!

      Sent: 3/1/05 3:03:32 PM
      Subject: [AZ] chemistry

      Forwarded by <Larry.Wallace@...> from http://www.medscape.com.

      TI  - Search for polyprenols in leaves of evergreen and deciduous Ericaceae plants.
      SO  - Acta Biochim Pol  2001;48(2):579-84
      TA  - Acta Biochim Pol
      VI  - 48
      IP  - 2
      PG  - 579-84
      DP  - 2001
      AU  - Ranjan R
      AU  - Marczewski A
      AU  - Chojnacki T
      AU  - Hertel J
      AU  - Swiezewska E
      AD  - Department of Botany, T.P. Varma College, Bihar, India.
      AB  - Various species and cultivars of Ericaceae family were checked for the presence of long-chain polyprenols in their leaves. In the genus Rhododendron no polyprenols were found in the ever-green species, while they were present in the deciduous type. The polyprenols were of chain-length of 14-20 isoprene residues and they occurred in the form of acetic acid esters. The polyprenol accumulation is discussed with respect to senescence of leaves.
      IS  - 0001-527X
      MJ  - Ericaceae [chemistry]
      MJ  - Terpenes [isolation & purification]
      MN  - Chromatography, High Pressure Liquid
      MN  - Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
      MN  - Molecular Structure
      MN  - Plant Leaves [chemistry]
      MN  - Rhododendron [chemistry]
      MN  - Species Specificity
      MN  - Terpenes [chemistry]
      RN  -  0 (Terpenes)
      MT  - Comparative Study
      LA  - English
      PT  - Owner: NLM
      MC  - Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
      EM  - 200205

      TI  - Triterpene and flavanone glycoside from Rhododendron simsii.
      SO  - Phytochemistry  2001 Apr;56(8):875-9
      TA  - Phytochemistry
      VI  - 56
      IP  - 8
      PG  - 875-9
      DP  - 2001
      AU  - Takahashi H
      AU  - Hirata S
      AU  - Minami H
      AU  - Fukuyama Y
      AD  - Institute of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokushima Bunri University, Japan.
      AB  - Antioxidative substances were isolated from the leaves of Rhododendron simsii. These were a triterpene and flavanone glycoside, together with the known matteucinol and two known benzoic acid derivatives. Their structures were characterized as 19,24-dihydroxyurs-12-en-3-one-28-oic acid and 7-O-beta-D-apiofuranosyl-(1--&gt;6)-beta-D-glucopyranosylmatteucinol by spectroscopic analysis.
      IS  - 0031-9422
      MJ  - Angiosperms [chemistry]
      MJ  - Antioxidants [isolation & purification]
      MJ  - Flavanones
      MJ  - Triterpenes [isolation & purification]
      MN  - Antioxidants [chemistry] [pharmacology]
      MN  - Flavonoids [chemistry] [isolation & purification] [pharmacology]
      MN  - Triterpenes [chemistry] [pharmacology]
      RN  -  0 (Antioxidants); 0 (Flavanones); 0 (Flavonoids); 0 (Triterpenes); 487-26-3 (flavanone)
      LA  - English
      PT  - Owner: NLM
      EM  - 200108

      TI  - Studies on the chemical constituents of the roots of Rhododendron molle G. Don [In Process Citation]
      SO  - J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci  2004;24(2):202-4
      TA  - J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci
      VI  - 24
      IP  - 2
      PG  - 202-4
      DP  - 2004
      AU  - Xiang Y
      AU  - Zhang C
      AU  - Zheng Y
      AD  - Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China.
      AB  - The compounds from the root of Rhododendron molle G. Don were isolated, purified by various chromatographic techniques, and their structures were identified according to the physical and chemical features and spectral data. Three compounds were separated from the root of Rhododendron molle G. Don and identified as Rhodojaponin-III, taraxerol, beta-sitosterol for the first time.
      IS  - 1672-0733
      LA  - English
      PT  - Owner: NLM
      EM  - 200408

      When you reply to this email, PLEASE quote its relevant part(s) only, as context, and DELETE the rest - especially this line and the Yahoo lines.  Also PLEASE tell us where you garden (city, state or at least your USDA zone).

      We welcome images RESIZED to be under 100KB in size - 640 x 480 pixel .jpg images at 50% or 1:40 compression are ideal.

    • Wprzypek@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
        Here we go again!

        Let's not be so narrow as to deprive those who understand from exchanging a little info.

        Walter Przypek
        Yorktown VA