BLOOMING AZALEAS

  • kosacktree
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2003
      I have two azaleas that have been blooming for about the past 5 or 6
      weeks. They are not as full as they were in the spring, but I can
      not get over the fact that this is almost the middle of October and
      the blooms are really pretty. Sorry to say I don't have the names,
      this was before I was concerned with them. I do believe one
      is "Gillie" but don't know for certain. Here in south central
      Virginia the weather has been rather spring like.

      Will this have a bad effect on their bloom come spring?
      Thanks
      Cheryl
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2003
        kosacktree wrote:

        > I have two azaleas that have been blooming for about the past 5 or 6
        > weeks. They are not as full as they were in the spring, but I can
        > not get over the fact that this is almost the middle of October and
        > the blooms are really pretty. Sorry to say I don't have the names,
        > this was before I was concerned with them. I do believe one
        > is "Gillie" but don't know for certain. Here in south central
        > Virginia the weather has been rather spring like.
        >
        > Will this have a bad effect on their bloom come spring?
        > Thanks
        > Cheryl
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707632670:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124ukap9t/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595054>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        Cheryl,

        Next year's buds for next year's flowers began to develop in the summer,
        and mild weather in the fall and winter may push some of the buds into
        flowering. I expect it will reduce the flowers for next year. It is not
        likely that you will experience conditions between now and next spring
        which would result in the development of new buds. So what you see
        now... is at the expense of what you will see next spring.

        Bill Miller
        Bethesda, Maryland
      • Harold Greer
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2003
          I have a little different opinion from Bill Miller. Yes, flower buds used
          in the fall are not available in the spring. But many times I have seen
          plants flower heavily in the fall and still have enough buds left to flower
          heavily in the spring. Also, often as they are flowering they are still
          producing growth that is setting buds, so great flowering still happens in
          spring.

          Though, I have seen plants completely flower in the fall and have no flowers
          left for spring, but often that is not true.

          Harold Greer
          > I have two azaleas that have been blooming for about the past 5 or 6
          > weeks. They are not as full as they were in the spring, but I can
          > not get over the fact that this is almost the middle of October and
          > the blooms are really pretty. Sorry to say I don't have the names,
          > this was before I was concerned with them. I do believe one
          > is "Gillie" but don't know for certain. Here in south central
          > Virginia the weather has been rather spring like.
          >
          > Will this have a bad effect on their bloom come spring?
          > Thanks
          > Cheryl

        • John Hammond
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2003
            Hi Harold & Bill . . . . . .

            I have had similar experience to you Harold . . . . . . those azaleas and
            dwarf rhododendrons that
            flower in the Fall do not appear to suffer any noticeable loss of
            springtime flowers . . . . . . they
            seem to re-set additional flower buds prior to the on-set of winter and
            sometimes in the early
            spring . . . . . . the only additional comment I would make is that on some
            plants the size of the
            Fall flowers are slightly smaller than those in the spring . . . . . .

            John M. Hammond
            Manchester, England

            A broken cloudy sky at sunrise this morning and somewhere around 8C with no
            wind . . . . . .
          • Cheryl Miller
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 12, 2003
              Thanks to all of you who have written. John, like you
              said the fall flowers are no where near as nice as the
              spring ones. I guess I will just have to wait and see
              what they do next year. Right now our weather is
              surely spring like, who knows I may have more of them
              start blooming!
              Cheryl
              --- John Hammond <HammondsRhodies@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Harold & Bill . . . . . .
              >
              > I have had similar experience to you Harold . . . .
              > . . those azaleas and
              > dwarf rhododendrons that
              > flower in the Fall do not appear to suffer any
              > noticeable loss of
              > springtime flowers . . . . . . they
              > seem to re-set additional flower buds prior to the
              > on-set of winter and
              > sometimes in the early
              > spring . . . . . . the only additional comment I
              > would make is that on some
              > plants the size of the
              > Fall flowers are slightly smaller than those in the
              > spring . . . . . .
              >
              > John M. Hammond
              > Manchester, England
              >
              > A broken cloudy sky at sunrise this morning and
              > somewhere around 8C with no
              > wind . . . . . .

              =====
              Keep on Stampin'
              Cheryl Miller, Alton, VA
              Gardening,Stampin' & Genealogy - full time hobbies