Wild Azeleas in North Carolina

  • Marcie Elders
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2014
      I read somewhere online that there is a name for an area where many wild azaleas grow.  It was a strange name.  If you know, please answer this email.
      Thanks very much,

      Marcie Elders
      artsym51@...
    • Joe Schild
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29, 2014
        Marcie,
        Thank you for contacting us and please forgie the large type face. The old eyes are not doing very well. The possible area you speak of is Wayah Bald in the Nantahala National Forrest. This Bald is East of Andrews, NC, and is wheelchair accessable at the top along a paved trail. Usual peak bloom time is the middle of June and one will see eye popping R calendulaceum (Flame) Azaleas, R. arborescens (Sweet Azaleas) in white and some interspecxific with the Flame. The near-by bald, Winesprings, has some great forms also and if one has the time then a beautiful trip to the Chearhala Skyway Parkway between Robbinsille, NC and Tellico Plains, TN, to visit Hooper Bald. There is a 1/2 mile hike there.

        Joe Schild