Azalea Boulevard

  • Landon Davis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2014

      (this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC)

      At the 2012 Convention in Ashville I bought an Azalea labeled:   (“Boulevard”, Hybrid, Dexter. Purplish pink, fragrant)

      The plant and the tag became separated, and I trying to get them reunited.

      I have no success researching this azalea on the internet.

      Can anyone help me with some identifying features (deciduous/evergreen, leaf size, bloom time, etc.)

      Thanks,

      Landon Davis

      Richmond, VA

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2014
        Hi Landon,

        If it is a Dexter hybrid, doesn't that make it a rhododendron?  I'd look over any rhododendrons (the leaves should be diagnostic) that you acquired and see if any are missing their tag.

        The IRRC has a listing for 'Boulevard No. 1', an elepidote rhododendron, parentage unknown, hybridized by C. O. Dexter, grown by Boulevard Nursery, and introduced by J. S. Wells.  Flowers purplish pink, scented.

        William C. Miller III
        Bethesda, Maryland
        www.theazaleaworks.com